Sunday, September 13, 2026

The SKS Carbine

 For some reason, I recently had a bunch of SKS videos pop up on my YouTube feed; and, of course, after watching a few, even more showed up. Here are couple of what I thought were the best of the lot. The first is lengthy, but it covers both the history of the development of the SKS (including the precursor developments), a bit of the history after it was adopted, and then details how the weapon works (but with animated cutaways and demonstration) and how to use the cleaning kit tool. 

The second video is primarily a test of its practical accuracy out to 500 yards, but the host also shows some paper targets taken after he filmed the shooting exercise, comparing its accuracy versus an AK style rifle at 100 yards. Surprisingly, to me at least, the AK was slightly more accurate, but I suppose that it may come down to the shorter barrel which are generally more stiff than the longer barrels. The SKS would have also done better had it been correctly sighted in (it was shooting slightly to the right). 

Back in the 1990s and early 2000s, SKS rifles were cheap and plentiful. They are neither today--at least in the United States. Looking online, I see that online prices seem to be $600 or more. I can remember in the early 1990s the Norinco models selling for $79 which included the rifle, the cleaning kit, and a chest rig for carrying ammo. 

 

 VIDEO: "Primer 192: Russian SKS Documentary"
C&Rsenal (1 hr 29 min.)



VIDEO: "Chinese SKS • Type56 "Semi" to 500yds: Practical Accuracy"
9-Hole Reviews (20 min.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The SKS Carbine

 For some reason, I recently had a bunch of SKS videos pop up on my YouTube feed; and, of course, after watching a few, even more showed up....