As my assignments grew to further reaches and less forgiving environments I realized that carrying only one pistola was a likely a poor decision and opted to petition for a back up to my service auto. In those days a simple memo and a qualification generally appeased the powers that be and granted me a little more iron on board. So I did what most semi reasonable folks would do and purchased a small auto feeding device of a similar caliber. Now this was well before the days of what are deemed as reliable small auto's. A few hard lessons in capital expenditure were learned as they were certainly not all created equal. At the range on my “Friday” which was actually a Wednesday (you lawmen and shift workers will understand) one of the “Old guys” who had been around since the issuance of the service revolver asked if I had ever thought about opting for a small revolver. He loaned me a more modern Smith & Wesson device of the alloy flavor. The newly released 442 Model with issued 158 Federal +P ammunition. I will admit it was a handful however the hiring in those days did not necessarily lend to smaller statured persons so it was manageable. The fellow that loaned me the revolver spent a few hours with me showing me all the ins an outs of the gun and just how down right accurate it could be. He had spent a number of years chasing national titles with a space age looking revolver and had captured a number of titles with it but was down right handy with the small revolver.
Boyd ended up purchasing his own Model 442 and "[f]rom the time of the original 442 I have always carried a round gun on my person and likely always will." Read the whole thing.
No comments:
Post a Comment