Tuesday, August 20, 2024

For my LDS Readers: The Narrow Neck Of Land

 This video interested me in a couple of ways. First, while I have seen several explanations of the Heartland model that try to locate different geographical features such as the location of the four seas, this one seems more plausible to me by focusing on the Great Lakes and locating the narrow neck of land in regard to those bodies of water. Because the water levels of the lakes were somewhat higher 2,000 years ago, the narrowness is highlighted more.

The second thing of interest to me were the statements of General Authorities prior to the late 1970s that clearly discounted the Mesoamerican/two Cumorah model. Apparently the two Cumorah model had achieved some following well before the 1970s, but I don’t remember hearing much about it until the late’70s or early’80s. Since then it has become the dominant theory among the body of the Church. I find it puzzling that it would become dominant in face of prior statements, but I think reflects a shift away from the North American tribes being considered the Lamanites to Central and South American populations being considered the Lamanites. 


VIDEO: “The Narrow Neck”—David Lindsley Studio (27 min)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Now Israel Has Detonated Thousands Of Hezbollah's Hand-Held Radios

  From the New York Post :      A second wave of blasts rocked Hezbollah on Wednesday as thousands of radios and other devices used by the t...