- 20 year old Madi Barney decided to have a tryst with Nasiru Seidu, a Ghanian immigrant whom she believed to have been in his late 20s and unmarried.
- Barney claims that while at her apartment, Seidu raped her. She came to this conclusion after learning that Seidu was actually 39 years old and married. Specifically, the story states:
After the incident, Barney says she hesitated to report the rape, fearing that the school would find out and it would ruin her reputation at the conservative institution.
But when she learned that her attacker had lied about his identity, she became convinced that the rape was premeditated and decided to file a police report. Soon after, a cop turned her case file over to the school without her permission and her fears were realized.
- A sheriff's deputy provided a copy of the case file to BYU for reasons that are not clear.
- BYU began an investigating Barney for a possible violation of its Sexual Misconduct Policy. (Seidu is not a student at BYU, so obviously it isn't conducting an investigation of him).
- Barney has now filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education, "claiming the school has violated Title IX by failing to aide her as a victim of sexual assault."