Monday, April 22, 2013

Review--The Butterfly Wallet


Those of you that have seen the TV series Seinfield may remember the episode where the George Castanza character's wallet is so full of cards, receipts, etc., that he can't fold the wallet and it ends up exploding. While my wallet has never gotten that bad, I really hate having to carry a wallet around because most are bulky compared to the what I need to carry.

Last year I bought new glasses which required a special cleaning cloth, which came in a plastic sleeve. I discovered that it was just the right size to accept my drivers license and a debit card, so I started travelling light. However, as time went on, I needed to carry more items with me. It wasn't very convenient for carrying cash. Also, the plastic started to split and age, and, frankly, I looked like a bum trying to pull a card or cash out of the wallet.

What I wanted was something like a wallet, but a lot lighter. Then, a few weeks ago, I came across the Butterfly Wallet while shopping in REI.


It comes in different colors, including violet, blue, lime and black. As indicated at the manufacturer's website, the wallet is made of ripstop nylon and weighs just 0.2 oz. And it is small. As you can see, it is a tri-fold design, and each pocket is the size of a credit card. Because it lacks the bulk of a regular wallet, it is still dimensionaly only slightly larger than a credit card when folded up.

After using for a few weeks, I have to give it high ratings. It is lightweight and small. I can easily fit it in a pocket with my cell phone, if need be. It keeps my cash, cards and ID handy and organized. Although I have pulled it out and found the cards to have slid out about a quarter inch, I haven't yet had any cards slide completely out. My personal experience is that it actually seems to work better with more cards in it. For instance, the photo from the manufacturer (above) shows a single card in each pocket. I think in that case, it would probably be loose enough to lose something. I carry two to three credit cards, ID cards, membership cards, discount cards, etc., per pocket, which works just fine.

I like it and I recommend it for anyone tired of carrying around a bulky wallet.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bombs & Bants Episode 125 (Streamed 4/17/2024)

 More banter and high jinks for your listening pleasure.  VIDEO: " Episode 125 " (52 min.)