Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Gun Hoarders

The SHTF Blog discusses the phenomena of people that "prep" by buying lots of firearms and ammo, but doing little or nothing for food storage, and suggests that these types will be a prepper's worst threat in a SHTF situation. The author writes:

My impression, based on many conversations with various preppers, is that those in the “firearms only” category break down further into two categories: those that buy firearms with the intent of stocking up on other supplies later (and then never do), and those more evil individuals who plan to use their firearms to take what they need (whether they verbalize that intent or not). I suspect the majority do not fall into the latter category as I believe most people are generally kind at heart, but they may inevitably enter the “take by force” crowd when the chips are down.
He suggests three strategies: (i) stay away from them (and practice your OPSEC), (ii) outgun them (which may be difficult at best), or (iii) befriend them (although I would note that this violates the principles of OPSEC).

Although I can't find the comment now, one of the comments I read when I first came across this story questioned whether this was because of the emphasis placed on weapons and self-defense on survival web-sites; basically, more people write about firearms, and write more about firearms, than they do food storage or gardening. This is a good point. I think there are some reasons for this. First, I've noticed that the web-sites authored by women tend to focus more on the food and other preps--i.e., nurturing and nesting type activities. Men seem to focus more on protecting against dangers--both environmental (fire, shelter) and predators (firearms, knives). Second, people tend to write about what they are comfortable in discussing. There is a smaller learning curve to becoming competent with firearms compared to gardening or nutrition. Third, it is more interesting to write about the latest red dot sight or tactical shotgun than how to prevent an infestation of potato bugs. Finally, and probably most importantly, everyone has an opinion about firearms.

Returning to the original post, I have had my own experiences with the "gun hoarder" type. I became friends with a co-worker who was interested in firearms, and we began going shooting. He knew I was LDS, and that Mormons were supposed to store food. So, in the course of time, he learned that my wife and I had put up some food storage; he'd been to my house and seen some of it. He would joke that if the "zombie apocalypse" happened, he would be coming to my house to get the food. I'm sure he was joking, and he lives some distance away, but the fact is that he has firearms, he is proficient with them, and he knows that I have some extra food tucked away.

I feel fairly comfortable talking about food storage with other members of the LDS church because we are all supposed to be doing it, and most do to some extent or another. However, I have learned not to discuss food storage or other survival preps with anyone else unless they are a close friend who I would be willing to take in and share with during an emergency.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bombs & Bants Episode 125 (Streamed 4/17/2024)

 More banter and high jinks for your listening pleasure.  VIDEO: " Episode 125 " (52 min.)