Another video illustrating how fast an attack may occur: 14 seconds from the time the robber burst into the bank and when, wounded and dying, was crawling back out the door. (More information here)
- Ol' Remus, in his latest Woodpile Report, discusses, with his usual wry humor, the subject of how much ammunition you should store for SHTF:
... One firefight a month using 160 rounds each, which is 8 twenty-round magazines, comes to 1,920 rounds per year. Let's be optimistic and assume you can survive thirty six gun battles—thirty five sure, but thirty six? Figuring three years it totals 5,760 rounds.
If the premises are reasonable, and who knows if they are, a stash of 3,000 to 6,000 rounds would be about right. More than you have? Cheer up, it's a near certainty something other than gunfire will get you anyway.
- "Tru-Nord Compass | The Most Durable Button Compass"--Loadout Room.The compass is $45, but is machined out of brass stock, very durable according to the author, and, as a bonus, inclination adjusted at the factory based on your zip-code.
- "10 Self-Defense Tips From Boxer Jack Dempsey, Circa 1950"--Mental Floss (H/t Instapundit). They are still good points.
- "Gunfighting 101"--Steve Reichert Training. Some lessons learned during force-on-force training:
- Read the light and adapt to it. After you enter a low-light threat area, assess the different levels of light.
- Always operate from the lowest levels of light. This provides you more concealment, thus reducing the adversary’s ability to see while improving your ability to see without being seen. Time in the light equals time as a target.
- Avoid or at least be able to control backlighting. You are most visible and vulnerable when backlit.
- See yourself from the adversary’s viewpoint. With a bit of practice, you can continuously analyze your position and sight picture from the viewpoint of any adversaries in the area. This skill combined with an awareness of the light levels around you suggest the best way to approach a tactical problem.
- Use light and movement. Light can give you a tactical advantage, but it can also make it easy for an adversary to fix on your location and kill you. Until the adversary is located, it’s best to use split-second bursts of light, moving to a new location each time.
- Use light intermittently at random heights.
- Dominate with light. Use white light to flood threat areas, disorient and confuse threats, and control light conditions. To do this you need some serious lights—300+ lumens at least!
- Be aware of alignment.
- Be aware of cross angles.
- All dark holes have gunmen lurking.
- "Some Thoughts On Food… "--SHTF Training. The author relates the first time he ate food infested with worms, and vomited the food back up. Later, however:
Later, I have learned to eat what was available. Expired food, infested food, raw food, weird food.
Over the time you simply want to fill your stomach with something, hunger gets into your pores somehow and you do not mind for some things.
It reminds me of a "joke" from when I served a mission: if a new missionary gets a fly in his glass of milk, he'll throw the milk out and get a new glass; a missionary out 6 months will fish the fly out before drinking; a missionary out a year simply pushes the fly back with his finger as he drinks; and the missionary out a year and half will say, "What fly?"
- "Biological Warfare or 'How To Make Pepper Spray'"--Dreaming Of Sunsets Over Ochre Dunes. Instructions and photographs at the link. The author also recommends getting one of the sprayers you pressurize by pumping air into it to disperse the pepper spray.
- Remember the part of the rule about avoiding stupid places: "American UN official is kidnapped by militia while riding through the Democratic Republic of Congo on a motorbike"--Daily Mail. Sometimes, an activity becomes "stupid" because of where or when it is conducted.
- The barbarians are already within the gates: "Shocking moment kind-hearted man is beaten and has his pockets emptied in fast food restaurant after offering to help pay for his attackers' meals because they were short of cash"--Daily Mail.
- Hmm. "Shock finding: P-T mass extinction was due to an ice age, and not to warming"--Watts Up With That. What? Climates can rapidly change without human intervention? Heresy!
- Remember, though, that according to the left, there is no reason to fear importing refugees from Syria: "Slaughter in the courthouse: Horrific scenes in Damascus as suicide bomb kills 32 people inside Justice Palace"--Daily Mail. And this follows on the heels of bombings this past Saturday in Syria that killed 74.
- "Holland: the Canary in the European Coal Mine"--Michael Walsh at PJ Media. Europe's coming civil war:
This will not end well. With no tradition of assimilation or integration in Europe, the restive Muslim minorities will only grow louder in their complaints, more violent in their attacks on the religio-cultural foundations of Christendom, and more driven to complete the conquest of the West their holy book demands of them. The Europeans, foolishly, swallowed the Marxist myth of "multiculturalism" whole -- not in the manner of the American melting-pot, ethnic holidays and festivals and the like, but of co-equal cultures peacefully coexisting side by side in what was once a largely mono-ethnic state like Holland or Sweden. It was a beautiful fairy tale, but one that has foundered on the rocks of reality.
Knowing and endorsing the end game, the Left would have you believe that is a failure of the host cultures, and their refusal to sit quietly while their entrails are being devoured. The backlash -- Wilders in Holland, Marine le Pen in France, perhaps even Frauke Petry in Germany -- has finally begun, as politicians now openly wonder how many Europeans will have to die in order to accommodate a dysfunctional, alien, and largely hostile culture's desire for "a better life."
Better than what, one wonders. Unless they're prepared to abandon the legal and political aspects of Islam, all they will succeed in doing is reproducing the moral and physical squalor they're allegedly fleeing. ...
- The correct answer is #1: "A Soft Coup, or Preserving Our Democracy? Something’s happening here, what it is ain’t exactly clear."--American Conservative. From the article:
... To be sure, no one expects the country’s armed forces to march on the White House and force Donald Trump out, but some commentators are suggesting that a political environment is deliberately being created that will either make it impossible for Trump to govern or, if the pieces fall together nicely, will provide grounds for impeachment. As those who might be promoting that kind of regime change are civilians who will not be resorting to armed insurrection, it might be most correct to refer to the possible coup as “soft” or even “stealth.” Conservative radio host and author Mark Levin refers to it as a “silent coup.”
- Preparing the shock troops: "ACLU Launches Nationwide Training On Protest, Resistance"--Associated Press. The article reports:
The American Civil Liberties Union staged a nationwide training event Saturday to make sure people are aware of their rights as protesters and urge organized, public resistance by those opposed to policies of President Donald Trump.
Organizers said the event at a sports arena on the University of Miami campus was livestreamed to locations in all 50 states. ACLU Executive Director Anthony Romero said 200,000 people had signed up to attend one of an estimated 2,000 local events.
- Sedition: "Number of sanctuary cities nears 500"--Washington Times.
- Just to remind you where this is all heading: in his book, Prophecy--Key to the Future, Duane S. Crowther cites various early LDS Church leaders concerning a second civil war. For instance, Orson Pratt, speaking in 1879, described this second civil war:
[I]t will be very different from the war between the North and the South. Do you wish me to describe it? I will do so. It will be a war of neighborhood against neighborhood, city against city, town against town, county against county, state against state, and they will go forth, destroying and being destroyed and manufacturing will, in a great measure, cease, for a time among the American nation. Why? Because in these terrible wars, they will not be privileged to manufacture, there will be too much bloodshed, too much mobocracy, too much going forth in bands and destroying and pillaging the land to suffer people to pursue any local vocation with any degree of safety. What will become of millions of the farmers upon that land? They will leave their farms and they will remain uncultivated, and they will flee before the ravaging armies from place to place; and thus will they go forth burning and pillaging the whole country; and that great and powerful nation, now consisting of some forty millions of people, will be wasted away, unless they repent.
(Crowther p. 50). Joseph Smith is also quoted as saying:
A terrible revolution will take place in the land of America, such as has never been seen before; for the land will be literally left without a supreme government, and every species of wickedness will run rampant. Father will be against son, and son against father, mother against daughter, and daughter against mother. The most terrible scenes of murder and bloodshed and rapine that have ever been looked upon will take place.
(Crowther 53). That is, unlike the Civil War of the 1860s, this will be a war without set geographic boundaries or front lines, and protests will blend into mobs will blend into armies.