When I discussed some of the more general sources of info and put together my E-Book Resource page, I generally listed some major repositories with the warning that you would need to explore those repositories to find the books and information that might interest you. But I thought I would periodically post more specific links to a collection, library, or specific titles that would be of interest to the prepper/survivalist.
- The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan (PDF) edited by Lester W. Grau.
- The Other Side of the Mountain: Mujahideen Tactics in the Soviet Afghan War (PDF) by Ali A. Jalali and Lester Grau. Note that some of the maps use different shades of color that don't show up well in black and white print.
- Passing It On: Fighting the Pushtun on Afghanistan's Frontiers (PDF) by General Sir Andrew Skeen, edited by Les Grau and Robert Baer. Note: this book was originally published in 1932 and dealt with British experience against the Pushtun tribes in the late 1800s, but has a forward and introduction and other newly added information by Grau and Baer.
- Mountain Warfare and Other Lofty Problems: Foreign Perspectives on High-Altitude Combat (PDF) by Les Grau and Charles Bartles. This 2011 book is about lessons learned in the recently ended war in Afghanistan.
- Fangs of the Lone Wolf: Chechen Tactics in the Russian-Chechen Wars, 1994-2009 (PDF) by Dodge Billingsley with Lester Grau.
The books are in PDF format, and you may find the following programs useful to view them on your computer or to convert to a different format: First is Calibre, which is a free-to-download e-book management program. What makes it useful is that it can read many different formats of e-books and can convert between different formats (e.g. from epub to MOBI) as long as there is no encryption, and allows you to organize files into useful libraries. Second, and more basic, is SumatraPDF which also allows you to view all sorts of e-book formats but without the ability to convert a file from one format to another.
Disclaimer: I'm not the author of any of the documents, applications or things linked above and cannot vouch for their accuracy or completeness--use them at your own risk. I am not responsible for the posting or offering of any of the documents or things in the collections and/or libraries and have no control over whether they are posted or taken down.