- "US Banned VEPR Due To Sanctions? Looks Like It!"--The Firearms Blog. Molot-Oruzhie, the manufacturer of the VEPR rifles and shotguns apparently has been bought or is otherwise now financially connected to Kalashnikov Concern, which was one of the original targets of the sanctions.
- The headline is being sarcastic: "Look Out ISIS, UK Special Forces to Get the Deadliest Ammo Ever Invented!"--The Truth About Guns. Although adopting some hollow-point designs, the Brits are apparently also adopting G2 Research’s RIP ammunition, which has been shown to lack the necessary penetration to be reliably effective.
- "How to Make a Bola for Small Game Hunting"--Outdoor Life. Instructions on making the bola and how they work to take down game, but doesn't explain how to throw the bola. I imagine that, like other hand propelled missile weapons, it is going to take some practice to become proficient.
- "Study: Newbies Better Able to Kill Assailants With Head Shot Than Cops"--The Truth About Guns. The 2015 study compared novices against people with intermediate firearms skills and those considered "expert" that had received formal police firearms training. On most shooting tasks the expert and intermediate shooters outperformed the novice shooters, but not by much. However, this changed when considering head shots:
“At close distances,” Lewinski told Force Science News, “intermediate and novice shooters tended to shoot at the target’s head more often and with greater accuracy than law enforcement trained shooters.”
Nearly 60% of novices’ rounds hit the head at the crucial three-foot distance, compared to just 21% of experts’ shots. That hit rate dropped to about 24% for novices at nine feet–but to a dismal 6% for experts. Every group’s hits continued to decline as distance expanded, but both intermediates and novices continued to out-score trained officers on successful headshots as distance grew.
- "New Copper Basin Takedown Firearm Backpack"--The Firearms Blog. The pack is intended to specifically look "non-tactical" and discrete--i.e., like a day pack or travelers back pack. It is designed for take down rifles--such as the 10-22 Takedown, AR-7, Kel-Tech Sub-2000--and AR or AK pistols.
- "3 Tips for Survival Trapping in Warm Weather"--Outdoor Life. The main point is that the warmer weather means that meat will spoil faster. Accordingly, try and use traps that immobilize rather than kill, and be aware flies, spoilage, etc.
- "Caught on video: Woman punched 39 times in Planet Fitness parking lot"--CBS News. (See also The Daily Mail's report on the same incident). According to the articles, the attacker waited outside the Planet Fitness for nearly 8 hours, until the victim's work shift ended. Then, as she was walking to her car, he walked past her--with a car between the two of them--then came up behind her and struck her in the back of the head. I recommend watching the video, but here are a couple of photographs from the surveillance camera that show how the attacker approached his victim.
Of course, this is a perfect example where an attacker waits until a victim is away from possible witnesses or assistance and distracted (in this case, as she prepares to unlock her vehicle--assuming the red car was hers). Although the suspect had decided on his victim at least 8 hours prior, and kept a car between him and his victim to allay suspicion, there are certain "tells" that should have at least warned the woman to be on guard. First, there is the fact that this man "coincidentally" was walking across what appears to be a mostly deserted parking lot late at night. The other is that, as he passes the bumper of the car separating him from his victim, he has already began to angle his course of travel, even though he was in view of the woman at the time.
Fortunately, the woman was not seriously injured, raped, or killed. It is not clear to me that she could have avoided the attacker: if she ran or tried to otherwise evade him, he may have still pursued and caught her (I'm going to be blunt--unless there is a gross difference in physical ability from the normal--for instance, a woman who is an athlete versus a very weak/out of shape man--a man is going to be physically faster and much stronger than a woman); but he also might have gotten frightened and left. Depending on when she saw the man, she may have been able to return to the Planet Fitness (hopefully there would have been other employees still there). If she didn't see him until the two were closer, she could have changed to walking to the other side of the red car, thus putting more distance between her and the attacker, and/or turning to keep him in view so she would know if she needed to run or otherwise keep away from him.
If she'd had a weapon, she could have prepared to draw her weapon (or, even, discreetly drawn it) in anticipation of an attack. I generally carry my R51 in a pocket holster, and, on occasions when I've been suspicious, I'll put my hand in my pocket with my fingers around the grip, ready to draw if necessary.
- A new Woodpile Report is out.
- Religion of peace: "'Terrorist' knifeman 'shouting Allahu Akbar' repeatedly stabs cop in the neck at Michigan airport"--Daily Mail. The officer survived the attack, and the suspect is in custody. The attacker has not been identified; at the moment, all we know is that he is from Quebec and has a Canadian passport.
- The confluence of Islamic terrorism and Muslim organized crime: "Brussels bomb suspect was Moroccan and 'known to police'"--BBC. The 36 year old man was known to the police, not because of terrorist sympathies, but because of his involvement in the drug trade. Oh, and for those interested, yes, he was from Molenbeek: a terrorist's home-away-from-home when in Belgium. According to the article, the man had yelled "Allahu Akbar" (Allah is greatest) before being shot.
- Refugees welcome: "Woman, 28, is 'raped nine times by three asylum seekers who filmed the brutal attack on her mobile phone after ambushing her at a town fair in Germany'"--Daily Mail. According to the article:
The woman said she was forced to have unprotected oral, vaginal and anal sex with three Ethiopian men who she identified in court, The Local reports.
She claimed the men took it in turns to rape her, sometimes acting as a group, and sometimes individually.
This is a German court, so the judge will likely free the refugees and apologize for the inconvenience that the trial caused them.
- Muslims are the real feminists: "Young, educated Middle Eastern men are MORE likely to catcall the opposite sex than those who haven't studied because they want to 'put them in their place', reveals study"--Daily Mail. Technically, the men weren't "Middle Eastern," because they were from countries in North Africa and the Near East: Egypt, Morocco, Lebanon, and the Palestinian territories.
- Convergence of the Southern Baptist Church continues: "Southern Baptists Embrace Gender-Inclusive Language in the Bible"--The Atlantic. The translation in question is the Christian Standard Bible (CSB). According to the article:
The CSB now translates the term anthropos, a Greek word for “man,” in a gender-neutral form 151 times, rendering it “human,” “people,” and “ones.” The previous edition had done this on occasion; the new revision adds almost 100 more instances. “Men of Israel” becomes “fellow Israelites;” when discussing Jesus’s incarnation the “likeness of men” becomes “likeness of humanity.” The CSB translates the term adelphoi, a Greek word for “brother” in a gender-neutral form 106 times, often adding “sister.” “Brotherly love” is translated “love as brothers and sisters.”
The gender-neutralizing pattern is also present in its translation of the Old Testament. For instance, where the NIV “gender-neutral” revision uses the term “human” or “humanly” for a masculine term, the CSB concurs with a “human” “humanly” or “human being(s)” 67 times. As the CSB translates the Hebrew term ‘dm (the word for adam), the generic “man, men,” it uses gender-neutral language of “human(s), humanity, human kind, people, person(s)” 242 times. The CSB also uses the term “mortal” or “mere mortal” to replace a masculine term 6 times. Numerous other instances of gender-neutral translations of masculine terminology exist across both testaments.
- This is why Democrats are so afraid of voter-ID laws: "Report: As Many as 5.7 Million Non-Citizens Voted in 2008 Election"--PJ Media.
- The coming civil war: "If The Left Wins Their Soft Coup, Everyone Loses - But Mostly Them"--Kurt Schlichter at Town Hall. He warns:
Because what happens if the voice of half of America is effectively silenced by the DC swamp and its media guardians? The Tea Party was the first manifestation of the anger out there at the establishment. It was polite – it even cleaned up its own messes after its peaceful protests. The media, and the same alleged conservatives who saw the Tea Party as a threat to their own position because it caused donors to start asking for results instead of simply writing checks, attacked the Tea Party. Well, then we got Trump, who was not nearly as polite, and who took the White House fair and square from the designated establishment candidate. And now they want to use non-ballot means to make sure the normals’ choice is again ignored.
What do they think comes after Trump? Someone nice?
Do they think we stop demanding we be heard? Do they think we give up on participating in governing the country that we normals built, that we normals paid for, and that we normals fought for?
* * *
No, that’s not going to happen. If liberals like chaos and even violence – and their *wink wink* denunciations of their own creature’s attempted conservative murder spree and their squealing delight in a high-profile play where the President is butchered onstage show they think they do – then the way to get chaos and violence is for them to succeed in their campaign of fascist, anti-democratic scheming against the guy who beat the harpy they nominated.
If you want real political chaos and real political violence, then just keep going down this path. You can’t light the fuse and not get the explosion. I saw what happens when you toss away the rule of law – don’t do it.
- "Oncoming Racial Doom: The Clash of Cultures"--Fred Reed. The author describes how, when he was young and naive, he was hopeful that with the end of segregation blacks would become part of mainstream America, buoying up the nation, despite his parents' warning that it would never work; but he came to realize that his parents were correct all along. Reed writes:
For decades white America made a desperate attempt to raise blacks to the level of the First World. It didn’t work. Instead saw a dragging down of society to the culture of the ghetto. Blacks were behaving as usual as spoiled brats. Anything that upset them, as everything did, any expectation that they behave, led to cries of racism and depredations by such as Black Lives Matter.
As I mentioned, my parents had said that blacks were could not function in the First World. It seemed that they were right. Desegregation had not worked, nor integration, nor quotas nor affirmative action nor Head Start. What didn’t work was turning blacks into members of a European civilization in which they had no interest. It would have worked no better had blacks lived in China, Japan, or Russia.
Nothing worked and nothing is going to work. There is clarity in this realization, a clarity to admitting what is actually happening. It avoids tortured reasoning to show that the dysfunction of blacks is due to anything and everything but blacks themselves. One need not make endless excuses for endless bad behavior, for the crime and dependency, the racial attacks, and the degradation of society.
The culture of the ghetto opposes everything usually believed proper in an advanced society: high academic standards, equality of opportunity, good English, minimal obscenity, equality under the law, low rates of crime, reasonable self-reliance, freedom of speech. Black culture, intensely racist, encourages none of these and opposes most. It is tribal, based on identity, instead of principle.
We could have had moon bases, space stations, and super-fast train systems, but we instead wasted the money and resources on a fool's errand.
- Racial healing: "Professor Calls Whites 'Inhuman A**holes,' Tells Blacks to 'Let Them F*cking Die'"--PJ Media. The black professor, Johnny Eric Williams, who is an associate professor of sociology at Trinity College in Hartford, Connecticut, was apparently calling for white genocide, and upset that a black police officer had acted to save Republican Congressmen from a leftist terrorist in the recent Alexandria shooting. This is actually a quite stupid position for this professor to take: simply put, blacks need whites much more than whites need blacks. See, e.g., Zimbabwe.