Friday, January 3, 2014

DIY Camo on AR-15

Guerrilla America has an article on a DIY method to camouflage an AR-15 (or other rifle). As some of the comments have noted, one concern is whether the spray paint used by the author would stand up to high temperatures, and whether it would stand up to cleansers.

I have used engine paint because of its ability to withstand high-temperatures with moderate success. I've not had any issues with the engine paint because of heat, but certain solvents (such as brake or carburetor cleaner) will take it off. I haven't had any issue with standard nitro solvent or CLP.  The primary problem with the engine paint is that there is only one brand I have found in my area, and the it only has one color that would be appropriate for a firearm--a semi-gloss black.

I intend on trying Brownell's Alumi-hyde this coming summer to refinish a couple firearms (my garage will be more than hot enough for curing the paint), and hopefully can give a review then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RIP: Zylog Ceasing Production Of The Z80 Microprocessor

 Ars Technica reports that " After 48 years, Zilog is killing the classic standalone Z80 microprocessor chip ." This chip drove mu...