Thursday, October 1, 2020

E-Book Resource: Bill Jordan's "No Second Place Winner"

   So when I discussed some of the more general sources of info recently, I generally listed some major repositories with the warning that you would need to explore those repositories to find the books and information that might interest you. But I thought I would periodically post more specific links to a collection, library, or specific titles that would be of interest to the prepper/survivalist.

     Today's selection is Bill Jordan's classic, No Second Place Winner (114 pages). This book, apparently first published in 1965, is more of interest for the historian than the modern shooter. It was written before the era of the modern shooting techniques, demonstrating, for instance, techniques for drawing and shooting from the hip. Chapter one really shows that the book is from a different era because it approves of the use of the "throw down" gun to make sure that the officer is found to have been justified in shooting a suspect, even in the case of mistaken identity.

DisclaimerI'm not the author of any of the documents or things linked above and cannot vouch for their accuracy or completeness--use them at your own risk. I am not responsible for the posting or offering of any of the documents or things in the collections and/or libraries and have no control over whether they are posted or taken down.

6 comments:

  1. Bill Jordan was a WWII Marine veteran as well as a Border Patrol Inspector. He was the winner in the truest since of combat. He spoke from where he had been. I cannot criticize the "throw down weapon", as I carried one during my 22 year career in the Border Patrol. Some folks do stupid things that get them shot. For example I stopped a car one might and the man made a dive for the glove box when I approached. He came ever so close to getting his head blown off. Fortunately for him he stopped mid leap and raised his hands. Would I have shot him? Did he have a gun?
    Nice to be tried by 12 rather than carried by 6.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. should have been "sense of combat" not since.

      Delete
    2. I did something stupid when I was young--jumped out of a car when the officer told me that one of my headlights was out--and am glad that the officer wasn't quick to the draw. I banged on the fender, the light came on, and after explaining my prior attempts to repair the light was let go with a warning to get it fixed. It was only after the fact that I realized how stupid I'd been.

      Delete
  2. I am privileged to own an autographed copy of Mr. Jordan’s book, and to have watched him demonstrate his amazing ability to draw his S&W Model 19 quickly and point shoot accurately. I personally saw him hold a ping pong ball on the palm of his hand over his holster, drop it and draw the revolver out quickly enough to let the ball fall into the holster. I saw him draw and consistently point shoot small mint candies with wax bullets. This was when he was retired from the Border Patrol and working as an ambassador for the NRA. He came to our university’s Markmanship class (imagine that as an PE elective today!), and kindly spoke with a young Criminal Justice student about a career in law enforcement. When I was hired by the local police department, I of course bought a S&W Model 19 and a Jordan style holster to carry it in. It and the lessons learned from his book served me well. By the time of my brief meeting with Mr. Jordan, he was unfortunately quite hard of hearing from shooting without hearing protection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. It is pretty amazing what some of the shooters could do with point shooting and shooting from the hip. Unfortunately for the rest of us, it was not a skill easily acquired.

      Delete

The Age of Underpopulation

I took my title from an article at Watts Up With That entitled " The Age of Underpopulation is Here " by Steve Goreham. I've w...