Thursday, March 14, 2013

Handloads for Subsonic, Sub-MOA .243 Loads

TTAG has posted handload data for a sub-sonic .243 loading that produced sub-MOA results for them. The load info is:
Brass: .243 R-P New
Powder: Trail Boss 12.1gr
Primer: Federal 210
Bullet: Nosler 70gr Ballistic Tip
COL: 2.610
Barrel twist: 1:10
This has obvious use for someone with a .243 rifle with a sound suppressor, but note that the original purpose of the load was to reduce recoil.

My father-in-law gave me some handloads that his father had developed for the .30-06 that were extremely mild loads because they used handcast lead bullets. Firing through a Springfield 1903A1, I found the loads to pleasurable to shoot (compared to the shoulder breaking loads that my father liked to load for hunting) and very accurate at the short distance I was shooting. Given the low power, bullet drop is probably too much for useful long range shooting, but they were fun to shoot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Crime Down, Or Is Less Of It Simply Being Reported?

I've recently seen some people question the narrative saying that crime are down. It does seem unlikely given the "catch and releas...