Friday, October 7, 2022

The Galco Fletch High Ride Belt Holster: A Contrast And Comparison

Back in July 2021, I posted a review of a holster for a 1911 which I had received for review from Craft Holsters: the Falco Outside the Waistband Holster With Belt Studs. My acquisition of a Remington R1 included another holster for a 1911: a Galco Fletch High Ride Belt Holster (Model FL212). If you want a review of the Fletch holster, there is a nice writeup at Shooting Illustrated from 2020. I thought I would do a side-by-side comparison between the Fletch and the Falco holster. MSRP on Galco's Fletch Holster is $138. Craft Holster's current price on the Falco OWB holster with belt studs is $99 (it was $89 at the time of my 2021 review).

Falco holster on top; Fletch holster on bottom.


Back of the Galco Fletch holster--note the external reinforcement on the thumb break. I don't know if the right-hand 1911 marking was from the factory or the store or the original owner.


Back of the Falco holster from Craft Holster--note that the reinforcement for the thumb break is stitched into the thumb break.

    The two holsters are similar in that they are both pancake style leather holsters designed for outside the waist band carry and using a thumb break retention system. The quality seems about the same, although I would give a slight nod to Galco for a little bit cleaner stitching and the wider thumb break straps. Both have reinforced thumb breaks, although I like that the Falco holster has it concealed inside the leather instead of a riveted piece of metal. Both appear to be set up to carry a 1911 cocked and locked. The Galco has a reddish hue (they call it "tan") compared to the darker brown ("mahogany") color of the Falco holster. I don't know enough to tell you about the quality of the tanning, other than the tanning appears to be evenly applied on both models.

    I like that the Falco holster has belt loops consisting of straps that can snap open which makes it easier to remove the holster--i.e., you don't have to remove your belt to remove the holster. But it is bulkier system and, as far as I can tell, the strap/loop system appears to be for 1.5 inch belts while the Galco holster fits up to 1.75 inch belts. My two EDC gun belts are both 1.5 inch so that is not an issue, but if you are running a wider belt it might be something to consider. 

    I haven't had a chance to use the Galco holster yet so I can't really speak to differences in carrying comfort or draw, although I don't see why there would be any significant differences.

2 comments:

  1. I have a Bianchi #19L .45 Auto. It is similar to these two holsters.
    Right side and high, very fast draw and conceals well under a jacket.
    Leather between a cocked hammer and firing pin is a good thing...
    Thanks for the article. I didn't know about these holsters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you found the post useful. Thanks for reading.

      Delete

For My Idaho Readers: BLM Issues Summer Fire Prevention Order

Per Boise State Public Radio : Starting May 10, people cannot use fireworks, exploding targets, steel ammunition, among other restrictions. ...