Tuesday, May 4, 2021

Quick Look: Mean Gene Leather's "Hot Tamale" Coin Purse

Ever since I read Saps, Blackjacks and Slungshots: A History of Forgotten Weapons by Robert Escobar, I've been thinking about getting a sap but never quite got around to ordering one. There are only a few manufacturers of good quality saps and they are relatively expensive. Also, with the spring steel in the handles, they aren't something that can easily be carried in most pant pockets. But I decided to fork over the $37 that Mean Gene Leather charges for their "Hot Tamale" to at least try out the general type

    The Hot Tamale is not technically a sap. It does not have a lead weight in the head, nor does it have the length of spring steel in the handle to give it the whip and strength in delivering a blow. Rather, it is a coin purse that has the rough shape of a sap, but which can be used as an impromptu weapon if the coin pocket in the head is loaded with coins (it apparently is designed to hold up to $10 in quarters). It also has a snap near the top of the head and the base of the handle which allow the device to folded around a belt, for instance, and snapped together to allow unobtrusive carry.

    I decided on one in the "antique brown" finish. Shipping was prompt and I had the Hot Tamale within just a few days of ordering. It came in a sealed plastic pouch as shown below:


Here is the front (smooth) side of the coin purse:


And the back where are the zipper and snaps:


And, because you can also strike with the edge, here is an edge-on view:


    Overall the construction was good. The finish of the leather was good and quite attractive. The stitching was even and tight. The leather seemed to be thick enough to be resilient and not break if the coin purse was needed as an impromptu defensive tool. I would have preferred double stitching along the edges just to be sure that the purse wouldn't break open if struck against something with force, but it is probably adequate for an emergency. The zipper is a sturdy YKK brass zipper that zips open and shut without issue. I haven't picked up the quarters I need, so I haven't yet filled in the pocket.

    If I were reviewing this as I would a holster, I would be somewhat critical of how sharp are the edges of the leather. But, in this case, that is a plus because it should enhance its effectiveness if striking with the edge.

    When I got it, the leather was stiff enough to make it difficult to bend. I had a Premium Leather Holster Care Kit from Craft Holsters which came with a micro-fiber covered sponge and, among other things, a leather cleaning/conditioning spray, which I applied to the Hot Tamale to soften it up a bit and was quickly able to bend it around enough to snap the two ends together. The snaps were really difficult to snap the first time, but easier after a few times--whether from use or being able to more easily bend the leather together to align the snaps, I don't know. 

    I'll provide an update after I get the quarters and fill up the pocket.

4 comments:

  1. Be most careful when using, as a sideways swipe is prone to split whatever skin it contacts. (The edge be bodaciously bad.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Escobar also mentioned that in his book. I'll keep it in mind when practicing with the coin purse.

      Delete
  2. Yesssss . . . a coin purse.

    Heard this once, "If you carry a baseball bat, do your lawyer a favor and carry a mitt."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never known when you might need to use a pay phone (I think they still exist) or chance upon a toll road or toll bridge.

      Delete

Bombs & Bants Episode 125 (Streamed 4/17/2024)

 More banter and high jinks for your listening pleasure.  VIDEO: " Episode 125 " (52 min.)