Monday, July 27, 2026

The Downside of Carrying Striker Fire and/or Appendix

The host of this YouTube channel had an unintentional discharge when drawing a handgun from an appendix holster. Looking at the holster, it appears that the pistol was only partially drawn when it discharged. He has no idea how it happened. In the comments, he indicates that it was a.40 S&W Glock 23 and an FDO Industries IWB Kydex Holster. He also indicates that the "[s]hot happened on the draw, not the reholster," and "[a]ll internals including the trigger are stock. Only mods to the firearm were a rear sight replacement and front mounted flashlight." It seems to me that one of the common factors to many of these accidents is a holster designed for a weapon mounted light. 

The host also comments:

    Probably will not carry appendix again. Probably will also not carry loaded again, unless the pistol has a safety or is a double action. I do think these would have helped prevent this.

    I don't know if I'll conceal carry striker fired again.

Yes. This probably would not have happened with a DA/SA pistol. 

 VIDEO: "I lost a testicle to an accidental discharge."
North Wind Aerial (14 min.)

3 comments:

  1. I wonder how feasible a bullet proof holster would be - one that could stop a single pistol bullet, even if it was destroyed in the process. It might make appendix carry safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would make the holster so bulky that it would be difficult to conceal, but perhaps someone should try. I suppose if someone noticed, one could respond: "Eyes up here!"

      Delete
  2. People laugh because I won't carry a gun without a thumb safety....

    ReplyDelete

Feds Threaten To Intervene In Colorado River Water Rationing

From CBS News: " Colorado River reservoirs hit record lows as Trump administration threatens major cuts ." From the article:      ...