Saturday, September 23, 2023

Review: Ronin OWB Holster from Gunfighters Inc.


If you read my initial review of the Glock 43X MOS, you may remember that at the end of my review I mentioned holsters. More specifically, I noted that I'd returned a Galco Classic Lite 2.0 shoulder holster system that I'd bought for the pistol and had picked up a Fobus paddle holster as an interim holster until I figured out a better holster or carry method. 

    I have used a Fobus paddle holster for a snubby revolver for nearly 20 years without issue, so I figured that it would work fine and tide me over. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case with this handgun. No matter how far I loosened the retention screw, when I drew the handgun it simply pulled the holster (with gun still firmly inside) off my belt. Frustrated, I quickly returned that holster for refund. 

    Fortunately, in retrospect, the stitching on my favorite gun belt gave up the ghost.  But since I needed a new gun belt--at least until the old one was repaired--I went to a local gun store to pick up a Kore gun belt. That same store also carries a wide selection of Gunfighters Inc. holsters. I have a friend that has a couple different types of Gunfighters Inc. holsters; my oldest son has one or two; and I have their Kenai chest holster rig; so I know they are a quality brand. So while I was there at the store anyway, my son and I looked through what they had that would fit the Glock 43X MOS and decided to go with the Ronin outside-the-waistband holster pictured above, which I picked up for $75. 

Front of package.

Back of package.

    There is nothing fancy about the packaging: a basic plastic bag with a Ziploc style seal at the top. Inside was a card with a bit about the company and warranty information, as well as a Gunfighters Inc. sticker to put on your gun safe or wherever. And the holster, of course.

Front or outside of the holster.
 

Back of the holster

    The Ronin is a Kydex holster--not molded nylon--with basic belt loops on the back. I think that the loops can handle up to a 2-inch wide belt, but I was only using a 1.75-inch belt and they fit fine. Although the photographs don't show it, there is a bit of material--friction tape or something similar it appears--on the inside of both loops to prevent it sliding around on the belt. This, combined with how it is shaped to fit around a waist, make it very secure so that it doesn't shift around on the belt. 

    The loops have been molded with a bit of a curved lip to allow the belt to more easily feed through the loops. The first time I tried the holster I wasn't wearing my normal undershirt and those lips on the belt loops dug into my side a bit. But with an undershirt or a tucked-in shirt, it isn't noticeable. I've now used it off and on several times over the past couple of weeks without issue, wearing it for a short hike, around the house, and while running errands or doing work around the house.  

    The holster has good retention of the firearm but not so much that it is difficult to remove the firearm from the holster. As you can see from the very topmost photograph, it completely covers the trigger guard which is especially important with a striker fired weapon. It is also cut such that there will be no issue with mounting a red-dot sight on it should I choose to do so.

    I put it on a kitchen scale, and it weighed 3.5 ounces/100 grams. 

    There were a couple other features that aren't necessarily obvious but which demonstrate the thought that went into the design. First, as you will notice, the holster is molded to accommodate a threaded barrel should you install one. That makes it a great holster for those using a sound suppressor with the handgun. Second, and in the same vein, the holster is also molded to accept the extra high iron sights that you might mount either to use with a suppressor or to co-witness with a red-dot optic. 

    I read an article on concealed carry recently where the author said that you couldn't conceal carry with an OWB holster, but that isn't true: you just need a jacket or loose shirt long enough to cover the holster. It also helps if the holster holds the weapon tight to the body. Note only does this make it less fatiguing to carry the weapon, but reduces printing through the concealing garment. This is one of the reasons why I generally prefer pancake style holsters over other styles of holsters when selecting a holster for concealed carry. 

    And one of the primary problems with many Kydex or molded nylon OWB holsters for concealed carry is that they just stick out too far for effective concealed carry, especially if you are relying on a loose shirt, suit coat, or sports coat to cover the weapon. I have several Safariland holsters that I really like for carrying on the range and will work fine under a shooting vest, jacket, or winter coat, but which protrude too far for general concealed carry. But they are also for larger weapons that I typically would not be carrying concealed anyway. 

Looking down into the mouth of the holster

    Sticking out too far is not an issue with the Ronin. As the photograph above illustrates, the holster has a very thin profile. It is a pancake style design which holds it tight to the body, aided by the fact that the holster is molded in a curve to reflect the natural curve of the waist. And because it is Kydex, it will not get the sag that you get with leather holsters after a long day of carrying caused when the leather slightly stretching out. On the other hand, as I mentioned above, it can be pokier than a leather holster. But there are trade offs in everything when it comes to concealed carry.

    In short, however, I am very pleased with this holster. As an OWB holster it will serve well as a holster on the range. It works well as a concealed carry holster with the right clothing. It do not expect that it will be the only holster that I use with this weapon. I had multiple holsters for the .380 that this Glock is replacing that I used under different circumstances, and I'm sure it will be the same for this weapon. But it will probably be one of the main ones that I use. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

PJ Media: "How 'Woke' Social Conditioning Almost Cost My Friend His Life ..."

I've mentioned before that because black males have a much, much greater propensity to commit violent crime, one should exercise a corre...