Friday, March 9, 2018

Marcus Wynne: "In Honor Of Peter Wang"

A reader (at least I presume it was a reader) emailed to me the link to the article "In Honor Of Peter Want" by Marcus Wynne, I've seen the article or links to it at other sites, so you may have already seen it. But, just in case you have not, I'll briefly discuss the background set out in the article.

      First, if you don't know who was Peter Wang, Wynne explains:
         Peter Wang was a 15-year-old young MAN who died in the recent Florida school shooting. Peter Wang was a proud member of the Army Junior Reserve Officer Training program at his high school. He dreamed of attending West Point and serving his country in the military. As an ROTC cadet, he received firearms training and was reportedly an accomplished marksman. 
        He knew how to shoot a rifle and he knew what one can do. 
        He knew exactly what he was facing when he stood, in his grey and black uniform, in the line of fire and held open the door to his study hall. He herded dozens of his terrified classmates through to safety. He stood there protecting his classmates and saved all that he could till he was shot down. 
       He died where he stood. 
      15 years old. A young MAN. A MAN who gave his life to serve others by going in harm’s way to protect those unable to protect themselves.
Obviously, Peter Wang stands in stark contrast to the lying vermin, Deputy Scot Peterson, whom we now know radioed that the shooting was taking place inside the building, instead of his later excuse that he didn't enter the school building to confront the shoot because he thought that the shooting was somewhere outside.

       In any event, Wynne continues:
         Today, in honor of Peter Wang, I’m going to share some insights about school and church security that WORK. How do I know they work? Among other things, I am a researcher. I went to Israel and interviewed and trained with the operators who provide training to the teachers and school security staff (remember, just about every Israeli is a veteran). I studied what others were doing in the US. I studied what worked and didn’t work at events from Colombine and Sandy Hook. I didn’t just recycle the endless Errornet commentary. I worked off actual police reports, autopsy findings, multiple perspectives of the incidents. And I ran all that through the filter of someone who has done high threat protection for over 40 years in some of the most dangerous places in the world. 
        Then I went and tested these concepts (as I always do and have been documenting and sharing in various forms of media from pre-web gun rags to this little blog since the 1980s) out in the real world. I was asked to consult with a religious school that in the estimate of the FBI and the Joint Terror Task Force has an extremely high threat from terror attack and organized criminal activity. I drafted a plan and launched it and have watched it evolve and survive significant risks over three years. One of the challenges in doing security is how do you document success? With good to great security, nothing bad happens to the target. But quite often there’s a lot of unseen or undiscussed action out at the perimeter. 
        As I always do, let me say this is not the only way. It is a way. It is a way that was rigorously researched, carefully designed, and then tested continuously. Thus far it has worked well. For OPSEC I’m not going to discuss some specifics.
He then sets out a list of questions to assess your school/church's current security and whether you have sufficient support; as well as including (in general terms) some of what he implemented at the school(s) with which he has consulted. His article is lengthy, and I won't reproduce the remainder of it here. But he raises some good points for those interested in security for a church or school (or a business, for that matter).

No comments:

Post a Comment

New Defensive Pistolcraft Newsletter

  Jon Low published a new Defensive Pistolcraft newsletter earlier this week .      Jon leads with another example of why you should never t...