Saturday, May 4, 2013

Review of the CRKT M16-12ZER Folding Knife

Long time readers may remember that about 1-1/2 years ago, I lost my EDC knife, which at that time was a Benchmade AFCK knife. I fell back on using a couple older knives, while I tried to find something comparable to the AFCK, which was a slim design, yet still carried a blade nearly 4" in length. I finally had to concede defeat, however. The models I could find and look at that had a 4" blade were all very bulky.

So, a little over a year ago, I finally bit the bullet and purchased the CRKT M16 folder. I purchased mine at REI, but since I couldn't find it at their website, here is a link to one at the Amazon Website, together with a photo from the same website:


Features:

The specific model is the M16-12ZER. As you can see, it has a combo edge (partially serrated and partially straight), which in my opinion is the best for an EDC knife. The blade is 3" and made of  AUS-4 stainless, which has done a good job of keeping an edge. The grind shape is a hollow grind. Total weight is listed at 2.4 ounces. Closed, the length of the knife is about 4-1/2 inches, while open it is 7.25 inches. The blade has a tanto-style point. The handle is, in this case, orange colored Zytel, although other colors are available for the M16 line. It has a steel liner on both sides.

It uses a liner lock mechanism, with good lockup, meaning that the liner fully engages behind the blade. It has a "Carson flipper," which acts as a finger guard when open, and the AutoLAWKs feature which locks the liner lock open to prevent accidentally disengaging the liner lock while in use. I've never had an issue with this on well-made liner lock mechanisms, but I understand it is a concern for some people. It does require you to push the liner over and, at the same time, pull the AutoLAWK lever back in order to close the blade, but after a few practice tries, I got use to the system, and found it doesn't slow you down at all--if you are using the knife right-handed. To close it (again, assuming you are using your right hand), you hold it with you thumb over the liner lock and your pointer-finger over the AutoLAWK lever. Pull the AutoLAWK lever back with your finger, and then push the liner to the left with your thumb. With practice, it becomes one movement.

Opening merely requires the use of the thumb stud. You could also use the Carson flipper to open the blade, but doesn't provide enough leverage for me to get the knife to open all the way or do so solidly. It may just take some practice, but I'm happy to just use the thumb stud.

The knife comes with a steel pocket clip, which is on the opposite side from that shown in the photo.

The large black "dot" on the blade pivot in the photo is the pivot screw which is easily adjustable for tension.

Experience: What I want out of an EDC knife is comfortable carry, easy access, can be used for a variety of common cutting or slicing chores, yet can be deployed quickly and easily using one hand, and could, in a bind, serve as a defensive weapon or survival knife.

After using the M-16 for a little over a year, here are my thoughts, in no particular order:

1.  I sort of like the orange color. I went with orange because my prior knife had been lost on a hunting trip, and part of me believes that if it had been a bright color, I might have been able to find it.

2. I still prefer the thumb holes from Sypderco and a few others which used them under license. However, the thumb stud on this knife is great, giving it easy access. Similarly, the locking mechanism make the knife very secure it is open position.With just a little practice, you can get so you don't even have to think about disengaging the AutoLAWK.

3.  I don't like the shape of the handle. It is too small, and too straight, to provide a good grip. It makes the knife easier to carry I suppose, but I would have gladly paid a bit more to have a slightly larger handle that was more ergonomic.

4. The quality of the knife is good. The blade steel is excellent and the grinding appears to have been done well. Assembly work was very nice.The blade was very sharp.

5. I thought the blade was little short at 3", and would have liked to see it be 3.5 or 4 inches long.The extra length doesn't seem like much, but it makes it much nicer to cut rope, cut a slice of pizza, on intimidate someone with a longer knife blade.

6. Tanto points really suck. I haven't had to sharpen it yet, but I can already foresee issues in having to stop and readjust the knife to sharpen two independent edges. I'm sure that the design makes sense on larger knives where you may have to drive it into thick heavy material. However, I need it to cut upon packaging, including zip-ties, and its a lot harder to slip a useful amount of a tanto blade under a string, edge of a blister pack, or under a zip-tie, than a regular pointed knife. Maybe it looks cool, and it is better for cutting shapes our of paper, but , overall, the tanto blade design is more difficult to work with for most everyday tasks.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Voyager 1 Sending Readable Data Again

Back in November the Voyager 1 spacecraft stopped sending readable data. Engineers knew the the craft was receiving commands and otherwise w...