Thursday, May 23, 2013

Mountain Lion Killing Pets in Idaho

A southeast Boise neighborhood is on alert after a mountain lion attacked two dogs in someone's backyard, killing one. We're also learning that this isn't the first time pets have been attacked in that neighborhood in the past couple weeks.

It happened on South Horseshoe Place in southeast Boise, just below the cliffs. The neighborhood backs up to some huge power lines and undeveloped desert, which Idaho Fish and Game officials say acts like a "wildlife corridor" for foxes, mule deer, and apparently, mountain lions.

"It's definitely scary to think that this huge animal can come into your backyard. And so, you feel a little unsafe," said Loralee Bafford.

Bafford got the shock of a lifetime Tuesday morning, at about 5:30 in her own backyard. It started when she let out her two little yorkies, Buddy and Holly. "I heard this noise, it was just this little yelp. It was real quiet. There wasn't anything else. I just knew something had gotten her."

Bafford grabbed a bat and ran outside. "All of a sudden, just very quickly and quietly, an animal, a huge animal leapt up on the fence."

It then pounced on Buddy.

"It came from my neighbor's yard, and just down on my dog," said Bafford. "My little dog was laying on its back with its legs up. I just started screaming and yelling, and hitting the fence with the bat."

That eventually scared the cat away. Loralee called police, and took Buddy to the vet immediately.
 Dangerous wild animals are becoming all too comfortable living around people.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Age of Underpopulation

I took my title from an article at Watts Up With That entitled " The Age of Underpopulation is Here " by Steve Goreham. I've w...