Tuesday, February 24, 2026

TTAG: Best Buffer Setup for a 10.5″ Unsuppressed AR Pistol

The author, Scott Witner, notes that there are a lot of reasons people might not run a suppressor on a 10.5" AR, including that even with a suppressor it is still not hearing safe, so why bother? In any event, to slow down the BCG so it doesn't beat the weapon to death (or, I would add, cause feeding issues like the BCG outrunning the speed at which the magazine can push a new round up to be picked up by the BCG), he recommends an H2 buffer and the Sprinco Enhanced Power AR-15 Buffer Spring – Blue, which is a stronger spring "due to running an over-gassed or suppressed rifle." It is also made from "chrome silicon wire and heat-treated for extreme durability, this spring delivers consistent performance across tens of thousands of rounds without degradation or fatigue." 

    I went with essentially the same buffer setup in my 18" AR build because it was overgassed and running too fast as I described in this post where I had to troubleshoot what initially appeared to be a short-stroke problem (it wasn't). I used the H2 buffer (or something basically the same weight) and subsequently replaced the standard AR spring with a heavier flat coil spring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

NY Post: Ethiopian Immigrant Murders Three, Hates American System

The New York Post reports that Tsegaab Binessu has been arrested for murdering three of the staff at the apartment complex where he lived af...