Tuesday, July 30, 2024

NRA Family: "4 Best Concealed Carry Positions"

 From NRA Family, an article on the "4 Best Concealed Carry Positions: Pros Vs. Cons." The four carry positions covered in the article are: 

  1. Inside the waistband (IWB)--specifically at the 4 o'clock position;
  2. Outside the waistband (OWB)--specifically at the 3 o'clock position;
  3. Appendix carry; and,
  4. Small of the back (SOB).

    Strangely, the photograph accompanying the article shows the first three positions listed above and a shoulder holster, but the shoulder holster is not covered in the article. But the author finishes by noting:

While these are four of the most common carry methods remember that we are only scratching the surface. We left out off-body carry, shoulder rigs, ankle holsters, and more. How you carry your gun is a very personal choice, so nobody can truly advise you on what's best. Here we feel the best approach is to present our opinions, support them with facts, and let you decide based on how you dress, what you carry and (of course) your body style. Take your time, try on a few holsters and decide what works best for you.

Unfortunately, the pros or cons of a particular carry method/location or holster might only be appreciated after using it for awhile--it might not show up just by trying on a holster at a store, particularly if you are just standing around with an empty holster. 

    For instance, when I first tried SOB carry many years ago, it actually seemed to go pretty well for the first couple of days. Then I went and watched a movie at a theater with my family, and the pain from it digging into my back was so excruciating by the time the movie ended that I knew it was not for me. I tried it again several years ago when I was given an SOB holster to evaluate; and while it seemed to go better with that particular design of holster, I've never gone back to that type of carry style. 

    On the other hand, it took a bit for the cross draw holster to grow on me but it became my favorite holster for my Beretta 84 when I used that for my primary concealed carry weapon.

2 comments:

  1. As many have noted another drawback (no pun intended) to SOB carry is what do you think happens if you fall on your back? Ouch. Really comes down to what works for your body shape. As mine has changed so has my carry choice. Someone did a timer test on 4 o'clock vs appendix and didn't have a perceptible difference (excluded cover garment). Appendix does allow for a less obvious pre-grip of the gun than 3 or 4 o'clock. One downside on cross draw I've seen mentioned is it's an easy grab for an opponent in a grapple than you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tested the retention of a cross-draw holster, so I may be wrong, but logically I don't see why it would be any worse than AIWB.

      Delete

TSA Warns Of Rise In Passengers Trying To Carry "Cat's Eyes" Onto Planes

One of the consequences of the constant effort to disarm Americans so that they are helpless in the face of a terrorist or other violent cri...