Thursday, November 10, 2022

Dressing for Winter

Alexander Ivanovich Surikov in a winter coat
(study by Vasily Surikov for the
painting "Taking a snow town", 1889)

I came across an article a few days ago on the subject of dressing for the winter called, appropriately enough, "How to Dress for Winter, According to Nordic Adventurers". Waking up to temperatures of 21 degrees Fahrenheit (-6.1 Celsius) this morning, I decided that it was close enough to winter to share the article and discuss the topic.

    The article raises 5 main points:

  • First, use a layering system comprised of 3 layers: a base layer next to your skin that is comfortable (the article recommends Merino wool because even if it gets wet, it will retain its insulating properties), a more insulative second layer such as a thicker wool sweater or technical layer (like PrimaLoft), and a third top layer/outer shell with wind-breaking/wind-stopping qualities (the article recommends Gore-Tex). The article also mentions that "[t]o layer your legs for warmth, wool long underwear under a wind-breaking shell pant should suffice, though extreme conditions may call for a third layer."
    I'm no Arctic adventurer but I basically went over to this system many years ago even for just day-to-day dressing in the winter, largely abandoning the heavier coats that I'd previously used. I generally don't don a special base layer figuring my underwear (a t-shirt undergarment and bottoms that go nearly to my knees) and street cloths are enough considering the typical winter temperatures where I live. I will then wear a cardigan sweater or its fleece equivalent as a second layer (or a flannel or wool shirt if I'm feeling outdoorsy). And, when outside, I will generally put on a windbreaker of some sort. I've tried more water resistant jackets but I don't like how they trap the moisture. If the temperature drops closer to 0 F, I will exchange the windbreaker for a leather coat or wool coat and, if I'm going to be outside a lot, at least put on a base layer (long underwear) over my legs. And if it gets really cold, I have a thick down coat that I can use as the outer layer.

    Also, something I learned as a child when I lived in a much colder area of Idaho, is to avoid the short skiing or bomber type jackets as the outer layer. They are great if you have to sit a lot in the cold, but otherwise you want something that at least extends over your hips and down to the top of your thighs. 

    I've tried the muli-layer coats that you can detach the shell from the liner, but never really liked them. I prefer the ease of being able to remove or replace independent layers of clothing. 

  • Second, the article cites another experienced traveler who recommends packing a thin down jacket to adjust your temperature in a hurry rather than wearing one heavy coat. Basically, something that you can put on when colder, but can take off and stuff into a bag or pack when you get warmer. I see this as really a recommendation as to a second layer or a type of outer layer when wind or precipitation is not an issue.
  • Third, the article states, a good hat is a must. "'Think of your body as a chimney where heat rises, so you’ll want to cover it off effectively,' says Rølvåg, who recommends choosing a hat that wind won’t easily penetrate. (Tight-knit merino wool does the trick.)"
    While beanies or stocking caps are great for working in the yard or tromping about in the countryside, I prefer something a little more stylish when going to work or just going about town. My preference is a flat cap of some type with no brim in the back. My current and favorite hat of this type is the style known as a "poorboy" or "newsboy" (see, e.g., here and here for sellers). With no brim on the back, I don't have to worry about my car seat or head rest pushing against it (a problem I have with my Fedora) and many styles (including mine) have ear covers that you can unfold to cover your ears and the back of your neck if the weather calls for it. Also, again because of the absence of a brim, I can pull the hood on my windbreaker over the hat should it be raining or snowing. If it is really cold, I have a bomber cap. 

    I have also found that the the old truism--if your feet are cold, put on a hat--is generally true. A good hat lets you get away with lighter gloves and footwear. 

  • Fourth, protect your other extremities. In other words, use gloves/mittens and insulated shoes and socks.

    Karin Strand, vice president of expeditions for Hurtigruten, who has traveled to Antarctica more than 100 times, says wool does the job for socks.

    “I wear mostly my own hand-knitted socks because I get them the way I want,” says Strand, who also recommends buying woolen insoles for your winter boots to keep the cold at bay.

    Folsland says to opt for winter shoes or boots that are a bit larger than your regular size (1.5 or even two sizes larger works as a rule of thumb).

    “That way you can adjust the number of socks you’re wearing underneath and, more importantly, there’s air around your feet,” she says. “They won’t get squished and your blood circulation can keep flowing.”

In his video, "Winter SHTF tips: Bug out bag tricks", Prepared Airman discusses the topic of cold feet and related that because he sweats a lot through his feet, he had problems with his feet being cold even when using insulated boots, which he solved by going with ventilated boots which allowed the moisture to be wicked away from his feet. Something to consider if you have that issue.

  • Finally, the article reminds readers that good clothes are rarely inexpensive, so treat the clothes as an investment. If you don't mind used clothing, you can sometimes come across good quality clothes at thrift stores, perhaps luck into a quality hand-me-down from a relative or friend, or get surplus military clothing through various military surplus sources. The best quality surplus will generally be European if you can figure out their sizing systems and are small enough to fit into their clothing--British surplus clothing, in particular, seems to be sized for children or crack addicts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bayou Renaissance Man On Medical Preparations

Peter Grant of the Bayou Renaissance Man blog has over the last few weeks published some posts on prepping which address medical preparation...