Wednesday, August 17, 2022

The Realist: CountryComm Titanium wrenches

Editor's Note: A hearty welcome to another guest post by The Realist.

The CountryComm 4-inch adjustable wrench, weighing 24 grams
(top), and the 4-inch forged steel wrench I have been carrying as part of my EDC
for many years, weighing 40 grams (bottom).

    Disclaimer: All products mentioned in this article were purchased by myself. I did not receive samples, evaluation models, or other compensation from any manufacturer or retailer. I have no formal relationship with any manufacturer or retailer mentioned in this article - I have only been an arms-length customer. All brand names and product names used in this review are the trade names, service marks, trademarks, or registered trademarks of their respective owners. This article reflects my unique circumstances and subjective opinions with regard to performance and other characteristics of the products being discussed. Your mileage may vary.

    If you are into emergency preparedness, I'm sure you have heard of CountryComm, a company that sells many interesting gadgets. Recently, I discovered that they were selling titanium adjustable ("Crescent") wrenches. I initially purchased their 4-inch titanium adjustable wrench (https://countycomm.com/products/adjustable-wrench-titanium-4-inch-nsn-pending). Liking what I saw, I subsequently purchased their 8-inch titanium adjustable wrench
(https://countycomm.com/products/8-inch-titanium-adjustable-wrench-nsn-pending).They also sell a 6-inch titanium adjustable wrench (https://countycomm.com/products/adjustable-wrench-titanium-6-inch-nsn-pending).

    For several years, I have been searching for a light-weight adjustable wrench that could go into my emergency get-home bag. Some may argue with my desire to have a wrench that large in my get-home bag, but I have carried a 4-inch adjustable wrench on my key chain since I was in drivers education in high school - a long time ago. I have used that wrench innumerable times to perform various tasks. It has been almost as useful as a pocket knife. Seeking a larger adjustable wrench reflects my desire to overcome some of the limitations I have encountered with the four-inch wrench.

    CountryComm says their wrenches are made from grade 4 titanium. Grade 4 titanium has excellent corrosion resistance, and is commonly used in aerospace, industrial and medical applications where high strength is required. (https://continentalsteel.com/titanium/grades/cp1-grade-4/) CountryComm also says their titanium wrenches are machined from a solid billet of titanium. My careful examination of the wrenches indicates that is true. While the wrenches are well finished, with a matte grey appearance, there are many little details indicating they were indeed machined, with the outside edges being laser cut.

    The wrenches are completely non-magnetic. Even the pin that holds the thumb screw in place is non-magnetic, and it looks to also be titanium.

    The fit and finish of the wrenches is excellent. I see none of the minor/cosmetic defects I see with traditional forged steel wrenches. My only complaint is that the moving jaw on each wrench is a little looser than I like. However, given the overall excellent fit and finish, the looseness of the jaw is probably by design. A loose jaw is less likely to jam or bind with dirt or other crud during normal use.

    The 4-inch titanium wrench weighs 24 grams (0.85 ounces), and the jaws open to 14.03 mm (0.55 inches). In comparison, the 4-inch forged steel wrench I carry on my key chain weighs 40 grams (1.4 ounces), and its jaws open to 14.67 mm (0.58 inches - a little larger than a 9/16 inch bolt).

    The 8-inch titanium wrench weighs 130 grams (4.6 ounces), and the jaws open to 28.81 mm (1.13 inches). In comparison, the traditional forged steel 8-inch adjustable wrenches I have weigh from 200 to 315 grams (7.1 to 11.1 ounces), and the jaws open from 24.9 to 33.0 mm (0.98 to 1.30 inches).

    These titanium wrenches are not for everybody given their price. At the time of this writing, the 4-inch wrench sells for $64.95, the 6-inch wrench sells for $119.00, and the 8-inch wrench sells for $174.95. However, CountryComm frequently has discount codes available that can be applied to take a little bit of the pain out of the price.


The CountryComm 8-inch adjustable wrench, weighing 130
grams (top), and the 8-inch Lobster forged steel adjustable wrench, weighing 175
grams (bottom).

Lighter Weight Affordable Alternatives

    If you feel $175 is a little much for one wrench, but you like the idea of a reduced weight wrench, there is a forged steel Japanese adjustable wrench that weighs 175 grams (6.17 ounces) - 45 grams more than the 8-inch titanium wrench. This wrench is the Lobster UM30X available at the time of this writing from Amazon for $21.39 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00762IKEI). The Lobster wrench has a thinner profile than most forged steel wrenches combined with a skeletonized handle to achieve its reduced weight. The one downside of this wrench is that the jaws cannot close completely - no closer than 6 mm (0.24 inches). This may not be a problem if you happen to put a 4-inch wrench on your key chain. The jaws open to a maximum of 31.3 mm (1.23 inches). For the record, this wrench is very high quality - much better quality than the name-brand wrenches sold at the big-box stores.

    If you shop carefully, you should be able to find an 8-inch forged steel wrench weighing 200-220 grams. The defining characteristic of the lighter weight wrenches is a thinner handle.

    Manufacturers have started making the handles thicker on many of their wrenches, which dramatically increases the weight. For example, the current made-in-China Craftsman 8-inch adjustable wrench weighs 290 grams (10.2 ounces), compared to 200 grams (7.1 ounces) for a 1980s vintage 8-inch made-in-USA Craftsman wrench.

Conclusion

    I am constantly amazed by the light weight characteristics of titanium items. These wrenches are no different - amazingly light weight.

    If you live or work in an urban or suburban environment, a light weight wrench might be a worthwhile addition to your get-home-bag or EDC gear. I have carried a 4-inch wrench for many years, and have found it to be extraordinarily useful. The limitation of the 4-inch adjustable wrench is that its jaws do not open much beyond a half-inch. It is my opinion that an 8-inch adjustable wrench, whose jaws can open to over an inch, adds to my ability to improvise or fix things in an emergency situation. Titanium and reasonably light weight forged steel wrench options exist and should be considered.

    Note: The manufacturers' specifications are generally more conservative than the measurements taken from my samples. The one exception I have encountered is the weight of the Lobster wrench, with my sample being 5 grams heavier than the manufacturer's specification.

2 comments:

  1. I have the radio . . . good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never even hear of the company before getting this from The Realist, but it sounds like I need to check them out.

      Delete

NY Dem Congresscritter In Favor Of Importing Hamas To U.S.

Breitbart reports that " Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-NY) expressed his full 'support' for the United States to 'bring in' Pal...