Wednesday, February 10, 2021

POTD: Old Reloading Components and A Question

    My father-in-law has decided to get rid of his reloading equipment and components and some of it has been coming my way. Among it were items that belonged to his father, including the photograph below of a bag (yes, a bag) of gunpowder and a sample of old primers:


    I have seen the old tins of powder, but had never before seen powder as having been sold in bags. As far as I can tell, the bag is still sealed. The majority of boxes of primers appear to be unopened as well. Without knowing the production date, I am presuming that the Frankford Arsenal primers are probably corrosive. 

    But there was one item that I could not identify what it was other than it was some sort of press, but for what? It is not threaded to take reloading dies nor is there appear to be any place to attach a shell holder.

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photos. Gotta love old reloading stuff. My dad still has a can of Alcan shotgun powder and Hercules brand 2400 (which we still use LOL). Re: your vintage primers Docent, I seem to remember reading somewhere that early 20th Century primers contained fulminate of Mercury and that they continued to be potentially corrosive as late as the 50's and 60's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven’t opened these primers, but I have some old stuff from my own father where the primer tray was wood. It’s fun to look at.

      Delete
  2. You need to deep six that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn’t intended to use it, just think it’s interesting.

      Delete
  3. I think the orange tool is a bullet swager. (for lead bullets)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. It is used for sizing cast bullets. Got one almost indentical to it on my bench downstairs.

      Delete
    2. hence the term "bullet swager".

      Delete
    3. @Brian and 1chota: Thanks! That makes sense because there was some equipment for casting bullets, lead, gas checks, and cast bullets in the same box. I will check around for instructions on how to use it, unless one of you can point me to something. Again, thank you both.

      Delete
  4. Completely different process. To "Swage" is to form projectiles -- bullets, not loaded cartridges -- using high pressure at room temperature to flow materials in the cavity of a diamond-lapped, high precision die. No heat is used.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tool is an old Lyman bullet lubri-sizer (lubricator - sizer). If the powder and primers have been stored in a cool, DRY place, should be fine. If the powder looks "rusty" or has an acrid (acid) odor it is bad. Old powder can be used as a fertilizer for gardens (NOT indoor plant food), if spread thin outdoors. The powder can be rendered inactive if placed in a milk jug and wet with water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! With that information, I was able to find a PDF of the instructions for the device: https://www.lymanproducts.com/media/user/file/i/d/ideal_45_lubesizer.pdf

      Delete

SpaceX Plans Permanent Moon Base

  Next Big Future reports on SpaceX's plans to establish a permanent lunar base , including a link to a YouTube video they had done (see...