Sunday, April 15, 2012

Gap Lacing

Whether hiking, on the march, or even in your daily walking, it is important to take care of your feet. Taking care of your feet is more than just buying shoes or boots that fit, but also lacing them up correctly. This is why I have included from early on in my blog's "life" a link to a site called Ian's Shoelace Site that has directions and diagrams on different methods of lacing boots and shoes. (Check the sidebar of "Useful Links").

I actually hadn't thought too much of this issue until I was at an REI yard sale several years ago looking at a pair of brand new looking trail running shoes that had been returned because they pinched. Since they were my size, I tried them on, and sure enough, one of the shoes pinched. I was about to put them back when I noticed that whoever had laced it up had missed a hole over the mid-step when doing the lacing. Re-lacing the shoe correctly, I tried it on and there was no pinch. So, I walked home with a pair of brand new shoes that were normally over $100 for only $30.

Anyway, skipping to the relevant part, Ian's Shoelace site has a new lacing method posted to help those suffering from pressure on the instep (the upper ridge of the foot) called gap lacing. Check out the full article for a lacing diagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Declining Support for Israel's Actions in Gaza

The New York Post reports: " Most Americans now disapprove of Israel’s military action in Gaza new poll reveals as tensions rise betwee...