Sunday, November 27, 2011

How to Store Onions and Potatoes

A good article from instructables.com on how to store onions and potatoes.
They need to live in a dry, breathable container, but I also hate buying baskets! Thankfully, sturdy paper grocery bags provide a great solution.

Just cut them off an inch or two below the upper fold. Two of them side-by-side fit nicely in my standard-size cabinet, so I can sort red and yellow onions. Trim a smooth curve in the front face for easy access to the onions.
The bags are sturdy enough that I can tug them out and shove them around while full of onions without fear of breakage, and the onions breathe well enough I haven't had any more problems with sprouting or mold.

I originally intended these to be extremely short-term storage solutions, but they're still working beautifully several months down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Age of Underpopulation

I took my title from an article at Watts Up With That entitled " The Age of Underpopulation is Here " by Steve Goreham. I've w...