Wednesday, November 30, 2011

How to Make Lye Soap

Instructions on how to make lye soap at Survival Blog.

Good hygiene has had a more profound impact on eliminating or reducing infectious diseases than antibiotics. Thus, the storage of soap, or the knowledge of how to make soap, is critical. In the book Defiance, which I reviewed recently, hygiene was a critical issue. One of the points made in the books was the prevalence of lice among the partisans. The book noted that without soap, it was almost impossible to kill the lice in the clothing--even boiling the clothing was generally not successful.

I remember coming across a couple formula books in the library when I was in college that had formulas for making common house-hold items such as soaps, shampoos, and so on. I expect that there must be guides or books intended for housewives on how to make these items. If I can find some free on-line, I will post links here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Age of Underpopulation

I took my title from an article at Watts Up With That entitled " The Age of Underpopulation is Here " by Steve Goreham. I've w...