Thursday, June 15, 2023

Hiking Photo

Just a photo from a recent hiking excursion. Normally I don't share my own photos, but I thought this one turned out okay although it doesn't quite capture how dark were the clouds. We were fortunate that the thunder storm passed to the north of us, and we apparently missed a rain storm a few miles to the south of us. We weren't trying to force our way through the foliage: this is just a view off one side of the trail. 


    This was actually my first time carrying my S&W Model 317 "Kit Gun" on an actual hike. The delay was mostly due to trying to track down a Kydex holster to use with the pistol. The 317 is a J-frame revolver and so I expected that it would fit the Kydex holster I have for my Model 638 since it is also an aluminum framed J-frame revolver. Nope. There was just enough difference between the frames that I could not get the 317 to fully insert into the holster. And tracking down someone that made a Kydex holster specifically for the 317 was more difficult than I thought it would be. But I finally found one manufactured and sold by Speed Beez. And it shipped pretty quick too. Anyway, the holster worked well--it held the weapon securely and wasn't uncomfortable, and no leather to collect the moisture from the sweat or humidity. And because it was specifically for the 317 Kit Gun--which has a longer barrel than my snubby--the barrel was covered and protected its entire length. 

    The 317 was also so lightweight (I think it is lighter than the holster) that it was not a distraction and didn't cause any backpain or make me have to tighten or readjust my belt. Sometimes with a leather belt and a heavy pistol, I will have to tighten my belt after walking for a period of time because it stretches the belt and/or the belt shifts a bit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bullet Migration in 9mm Revolvers

  John Farnam has an article up at AmmoLand.com on this topic . As you may realize either from practical experience and/or application of ba...