Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Dirt Time: A Bic Lighter is Better Than a Ferro Rod

Dirt Time does the math and research and determines that the common Bic lighter is better than a Ferro rod for lighting fires. The Wood Trekker blog also looks at this issue.

My son practices lighting fires from a Fero rod, and I have one in my hunting gear as a backup, but I have always relied on matches and cheap lighters. I recently purchased a Zippo to try it out, and so far like it. It is superior to the disposable lighter in that it is harder to blow out in the wind, and it burns until you snuff it out without having to keep a button depressed. On the other hand, the fluid leaks out if it is tipped over, which makes me wonder if it is broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Biden Foreign Policy/Military Disaster

You might remember last summer that Niger suffered a military led coup. The U.S. had a large airbase in Niger that it used for the GWOT and ...