Friday, March 14, 2014

What Gun for Dignitary Protection Detail?

As an interesting follow-up to my recent post on concealed carry, I came across this article at Law Enforcement Today, where a reader poses the question of what gun is best for dignitary protection detail. The answer:
I have had the opportunity to work for many individuals and organizations. Invariably a fellow officer finds out that I do “bodyguard” work and expresses an interest. Their first question when discussing a possible detail is, “What gun should I carry?”

The short answer is, it doesn’t matter! A brief study in the US doctrine of DP/EP can be summed up in a simple phrase: Defense in depth until compromise, then cover and evacuate. When my fellow officers and friends ask such an obviously uneducated but expected question, I answer it with my own question. When was the last time you saw the Secret Service standing around with POTUS (President of the United States) during an incident with their guns out? As you probably just did, they pause in silence.
Not to be a smart-a**, but the only time I've seen such an incident was when Pres. Reagan was shot, and the Secret Service had Uzi's. (I recognize that Reagan had already been whisked away by the time this photo was taken, but the question was what gun to carry).

File:Reagan assassination attempt 4 crop.jpg
Wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Bystander Effect--Fact And Fiction

 Greg Ellifritz's most recent Weekend Knowledge Dump  included a link to an article on the bystander effect published at Aeon Magazine a...