Friday, December 9, 2011

Review of Headlamps.

The Eastern Slopes blog has a review of 3-AAA headlamps. I'm not familiar with any of the lamps they review, but they have good points about the desirability of certain features. Anyway, check it out.

Here is another roundup of reviews of LED headlamps from Consumersearch.com.

I have a Petzl Tikka XP2, which I've used for a little over a year now, which I have been very pleased with. I especially like being able to slide the diffuser open or shut to either have a tight beam, or a diffused beam. I haven't used the red LED feature, so I can't comment on it. The whistle is a nice bonus, and would probably be satisfactory for a signaling device. The only problem I have is that I have to take the lamp off my head to turn on the flashing--just my own awkwardness at pushing and holding the button, and I'm sure most people could do just fine.

I cannot understate how useful it is to have a headlamp when working on stuff, climbing into the attic, or any other time when you need hands free light. I don't know if you necessarily have to have the brightest and best. My kids have some cheap (<$10) 3 led headlamps that have served well for them, at least for camping, over the last couple of years. I do recommend getting one with a flashing setting on it, which is better for bicycling at dusk because it attracts attention more readily than the constant beam.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RIP: Zylog Ceasing Production Of The Z80 Microprocessor

 Ars Technica reports that " After 48 years, Zilog is killing the classic standalone Z80 microprocessor chip ." This chip drove mu...