Friday, January 30, 2015

Active Response Training Discusses What to Look for in an IWB Holster

File:Taurus Fobus Paddle Holster.jpg
Fobus Paddle Holster for Taurus

Greg Ellifritz describes looking at the new Fobus IWB holster at the Shot Show, and thinking about what a terrible holster it was, which, of course, also led him to reminisce about why he doesn't like Fobus holsters generally, and, more importantly, what features to look for in a good inside the waistband holster. If you have been thinking about IWB holsters, read his article--now!--and then come back to my comments if you have the time (they will make more sense, I promise).

I've never had a problem with a firearm melting to a kydex holster. It probably means that I don't practice enough. However, kydex holsters have their place, albeit perhaps more limited than hyped. For instance, I have a Fobus paddle holster for my .38 snubby because it is easy to take off or put on, and reasonably comfortable to wear. I doubt that I will ever fire the small revolver enough to melt the plastic holster. But Mr. Ellifritz is correct--the holster is connected to the paddle by three small rivets and would be easy for a determined opponent to rip off. I've worried about it ripping loose when I've caught it against the edge of a desk or a door. Also, and this is true of many concealed carry holsters, they have poor retention of the weapon; meaning that most anyone could pull the weapon from your holster if they knew it was there and wanted it.

I had once used a Fobus holster with a Sig 226. Like many of the kydex designs, the center of weight of the firearm in a semi-auto (particularly a full-size service pistol) is generally at or above the belt line, which makes the holster want to twist around the belt; i.e., the grips tend to hang away from the body, which is especially pronounced in a steel framed pistol. So, while I like my Fobus with my small revolver, I probably wouldn't use a Fobus or kydex holster with anything else. Instead, I use a leather pancake holster for my 1911, which hugs the weapon close to the body. Since the belt fits through slots in the leather, you can't just pull the holster off. It uses a thumb-break retention strap which is probably enough for retention purposes. I have two holsters for my 4" service revolver (a Ruger Security-Six). One is a kydex shell with leather interior that I recently acquired for competition or casual shooting. The other is a police holster that not only has a thumb-break strap, but also needs to be rocked forward before it can be withdrawn from the holster.

Of course, if you have a crappy belt, it may not matter how good of holster you have chosen. Plain leather belts, unless it is some super thick or dense leather, tends to stretch during wear, so the holster that fit tight and comfortable at the beginning of the day may be hanging sort of loose by day's end. The problem is exacerbated by a narrow (dress) belt because they will easily twist. I've been using a shooting belt for the last couple of months on weekends and the evening, and have to say that it is an immense improvement. But, that is a review for another day....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Biden Foreign Policy/Military Disaster

You might remember last summer that Niger suffered a military led coup. The U.S. had a large airbase in Niger that it used for the GWOT and ...