Saturday, July 19, 2014

Ergo Delta Grip for S&W J-Frames--Preliminary Thoughts (Updated)


The Ergo Delta Grip is a relatively new grip design intended for round butt S&W J-frame revolvers (note, it will not work on the newer "Bodyguard" revolvers from S&W using a polymer frame). Ergo describes the product thusly:
The Delta Grip™ is the first truly ergonomic grip for J Frame revolvers. Designed for the most important part of the gun, the shooter, the Delta Grip was engineered to fit the natural point of aim and mechanics of the human hand, wrist and arm. The result is a grip with a superior natural point of aim, comfort and control.
I first read about this at The Firearm Blog when the product was first introduced at the Shot Show in January and was intrigued. When the Firearm Blog followed up with another post earlier this month, I was again intrigued. Since I carry a J-frame revolver, I decided to read some other reviews (see e.g., here, here and here) to get some opinions of those who had used it. Since the reviews were positive, I ordered one through Midway ($20 with the shipping and handling), and the picture to the right shows what I received. Here is a better picture of the grip:


As you can see, it uses a textured rubber over plastic, and comes with its own screw. The grip comes in two pieces.

Installation is simple. Simply remove the old grip, place each grip half over the pin on their respective sides, and, using the included screw, tighten it down. Here's what my revolver looked like after installation:


The fit was pretty good. There was a small gap between the top of the grip and the hammer shroud, but not enough to be a problem. I suspect that it may have fit more snuggly on a model with a concealed hammer.

The textured rubber grip is pretty "tacky" feeling. So, between that and the fact that I can now hold the firearm with three fingers (instead of just two), you wind up with a solid grip on the weapon. The angle of the grip forces you to take a high-grip on handgun, which results in the firearm more naturally pointing on target. When I first had the grips on and aimed at a point on the wall, I was reminded of aiming old blackpowder pistols. I suspect that the grip angle is very similar.

1760 Tower Pistol
Also, it seemed to place my hand in a better position to thumb the hammer back if needed.

I haven't had an opportunity to take it out shooting yet, but did some dry firing and also concealed carry with it. As far as the dry fire practice, the more solid grip and/or angle seemed to make it easier to pull the trigger through the double action stroke and without as much wobble.

The grip didn't interfere with the two holsters I tried--a Fobus kydex holster and pocket holster. However, between the tacky grip and the fact it is a little longer, it seemed to catch my shirt more, and sometimes pinched the shirt between the grip and my body. Thus, at least with a loose shirt over a belt holster, it may "print" more than with a standard grip. I didn't notice any difference with the pocket holster.

My kydex holster has an FBI cant to it. With the change in angle of the grip, it felt a little awkward drawing the weapon. It just seemed a little slower getting a firm hold on the pistol--I was having to adjust my grip on a few of the practice draws. I don't know if this will correct with practice, or if I need to get a holster without any cant. However, there were no issues, again, with drawing from a pocket holster.

In short, it seems to work fairly well with my current holsters and carry methods. The grip seems to match its advertising in that the handgun seemed to point more naturally, and it provides a stronger hold on the handgun. Of course, the real proof will be in the shooting, as it is supposed to help with accuracy and controlling muzzle jump. Hopefully I will get a chance in the next few days to try it out. However, even if it doesn't improve my accuracy, the more secure hold on the firearm would seem to justify the expense.

(Update): My thoughts after shootingThe photo on top is my J-frame with the Ergo Grip installed; below is the original factory grip.




As I noted in my original post, the Ergo Grip is obviously larger and gives a more solid grip on the firearm. It forces you to take a high grip on the pistol which may be different for most people. I've always favored a high grip on the revolver, so it was not much of a change.

The real proof is in the shooting. The Ergo Grip is supposed to provide better accuracy and reduce muzzle flip. I conducted my tests at about 5 yards shooting, obviously, 5-shot groups, all double-action and free hand. My best group with the Ergo Grip was smaller than with the regular grip--if I didn't count a flyer. In fact, I tended to have one shot that opened up the groups when using the Ergo Grip. Also, I was shooting slightly high and to the right with the Ergo Grip. This is probably something that could be corrected with practice. Overall, though, I wasn't left with the impression that the Ergo Grip helped me with shooting accuracy. It wasn't really worse, but it wasn't really any better, either.

Muzzle flip, though, was something again. Although this is obviously a subjective conclusion, I felt that Ergo Grip helped considerably with muzzle flip. This obviously meant that I could shoot a bit faster and didn't have the cylinder release gouging me in the thumb. Also, as I noted in my earlier post, I felt that I had better leverage for pulling the trigger. However, other reviewers were correct that the recoil seems to go more directly into the muscle below your thumb.

In short, I didn't find an advantage as far as accuracy. However, muzzle flip, and thus speed of follow up shots, improved. As I stated in my earlier post, it is not quite as concealed-carry friendly as the smaller factory grip because it seems to catch my shirt. However, it seems fine when using a pocket holster. I think that this grip would be useful for someone with larger hands, but may not be as useful for someone with smaller hands.

For now, I plan on continuing to use the Ergo Grip. To me, the mechanical advantage I get on the trigger pull is worth it.

(2nd Update). Thanks to Active Response Training for the link.

(3rd Update) So I've been carrying using the Ergo Grip for about a month, and I'm still pleased overall with the grip. I need to handload more ammunition before I can go out for another shooting session with it, but will provide a further update at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paul Joseph Watson: The Truth About The Baltimore Bridge Collapse

In this video, Paul Joseph Watson points out why some of the conspiracy theories concerning the collapse of the Francis Scott Key bridge in ...