Friday, December 1, 2023

Some Articles on Prepping/Survival

 Just some recent articles I've come across that I thought might interest you:

Many years ago, when I still went camping, the only cooking pot I brought along was a steel wok. In that I could make nearly anything over the campfire, from hamburgers to stew to biscuits, though generally not all at the same time. It was extremely versatile and allowed me to travel lighter while still eating well. On trail drives, the cast iron Dutch oven served (and still serves) a similar purpose, allowing simple and hearty meals to be made with little need to carry a variety of cookware in the limited space of a chuck wagon. With some thought and preparation, a frying pan or skillet can serve the same purpose in the prepper's kitchen. 

He also offers up a couple recipes suitable for one-pot meals. I was going to try them out, but things have been hectic the last couple of weeks. Hopefully I can cook one up soon and give you my thoughts (and whether my family would it it). 

  • On the subject of foods: "Pressure Canning Green Beans"--Blue Collar Prepping. As the author discusses, because green beans are a low acidic food they can produce botulism unless you (a) pickle them (i.e., put them in a high acidic medium) or (b) can them using a pressure cooker. She then gives the recipe and instructions for the canning. 
  • Another food related post: "Long Term Storage of Spices"--Apartment Prepper. Some tips and information on storing spices. Even if stored properly, spices can loose their potency over time. That said, the can keep for quite some time in a cool, dry environment. Don't overlook spices in your preps because they are important to making food more palatable. Since wars or natural disasters could disrupt spice growing and/or trade, it is important to keep extra on hand. It could even be an important trade good or gift in a serious SHTF situation.
  • And another: "Emergency Preparedness: The Minimum Amount of Food You Need"--Apartment Prepper. In self-defense, we often talk about the rule of threes--3 rounds in 3 seconds within 3 yards--as typical for armed defense with a handgun. Well, there are also rules of thumb as to most disasters and how long you will likely be on your own. It used to be that the general recommendation was to have three days of food and water stored (thus, the 72-hour kits which are quite commonly discussed). I've noticed over the last few years, though, that this minimum has been increased and now I see one-week generally stated as a minimum. This is what this article does, discussing how to calculate what you need for one-week and going over some essential food items to have. It also suggests that after you have the one-week, set a goal for two weeks, and then continue to work up as budget and room allows.
  • Turning from food to gear: "Nordic Poles Revisited"--Blue Collar Prepping. The author reviews a set of ATTRAC Nordic Walking Sticks which feature a quick release for the straps around the wrists. She paid $37 through Amazon. Unfortunately, the set isn't adjustable for height, but she otherwise like them. Earlier this year, I was hiking with my kids and realized we didn't have enough poles for everyone that wanted one. One of my sons needed the poles more than I did, so I let him use my set. There was some rocky uneven ground where I slipped a few times not using the poles, and it definitely put more pressure on my back than otherwise so I had picked up another set within the week. 
  • "Streamlight Nano Keychain Flashlight: The Perfect Stocking Stuffer"--The Mag Life. I have an Olight keychain light that I use quite a bit. The reviewed here is a lot smaller. It also only provides about 10 lumens of light. I don't see this really competing with something like what I'm carrying, but rather the smaller keychain lights that generally only use a single watch battery and have an exposed LED for a light. This would be more durable and have better battery life. It is $13 according to the review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

News From Wakanda: Monkey Pox Outbreak

U.S. News and World Report relates that " Spread of Deadlier Mpox Strain in Africa Has CDC Concerned ." The article warns that &qu...