Thursday, July 5, 2012

On Crutches

I have a cautionary tale to tell. At a church picnic the other day, I decided to participate in a foot race. Trying to put in an extra burst of speed, I suddenly felt my muscles tighten up in one leg and felt a "pop." I immediately lost all support and fell. Afterwards, I was hardly able to hobble around. The doctor told me that I had probably torn a hamstring muscle and it might take up to a month to heal. After getting home, I was able to use a hiking stick to move around until my wife picked up some crutches.

In a survival situation, even if you are at home or in a retreat, such a situation could be serious, or even deadly. Mobility, even limited mobility, is better than nothing. And frankly, when you need them, there is nothing that can substitute for a pair of adjustable crutches with the appropriate padding when you suffer an incapacitating leg or foot injury.

Since our normal pharmacy which we use (which rents crutches) was closed, we ended up at a Walgreen's and having to buy a pair. The cost was very reasonable--about $42 for a fully adjustable set of aluminum crutches (plus $15 for a set of extra cushioning pads). You may want to throw a pair in with your other medical supplies--especially if you live in a more remote location. And don't forget the ibuprofen to help control swelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Paul Joseph Watson: The Truth About The Baltimore Bridge Collapse

In this video, Paul Joseph Watson points out why some of the conspiracy theories concerning the collapse of the Francis Scott Key bridge in ...