Thursday, April 22, 2021

Mini-Review: Walker's Behind the Neck Game Ear w/ Bluetooth


Product: Walker's Game Ear Behind The Neck Bluetooth Hearing Enhancer, Black (Model No. GWP-BTN-BT) -- $109.99 at Amazon as of the time of this writing.

Features (per Amazon):

  • Retractable digital ear bud.
  • Hi-gain omnidirectional microphones for clear sound enhancement.
  • Earbuds in improved position for less cord interference.
  • HD Walker's in earbuds for wide range audio quality.
  • Integrated micro USB port and Micro USB charging cable included.

    I purchased this product through Amazon and had the opportunity to try it out this past weekend while shooting some handgun and shotgun. I liked it. It effectively reduced the noise level of the gun blasts while still allowing you to carry on a conversation or keep an ear out for other noises such as approaching vehicles. My oldest son had also purchased a set of these (it was on his recommendation that I decided to try these), and my youngest son was then able to use my older sound enabled ear muffs. I have to say it was nice to be able to communicate while shooting without having to yell. 

    Because the device is able to sync with a smart phone via Bluetooth, you can listen to music (as my son did) or have calls come through which you can take while still wearing the device. I need to better learn the controls, because when I heard the ringing, I couldn't remember how to answer using the headset, so I turned it off so I could answer the phone normally. But it has a microphone so you can just go through the headset--my oldest son has used his set that way.

    There is independent volume controls for ambient noise and sound through the Bluetooth connection. 

    I had four main reasons for getting this particular model. First, I wanted to try it as a hearing enhancer while watching television. I didn't like it as much for that because the sound quality and level was not quite up to snuff. The sound filter has different settings for different environments, but it also limits the volume of the ambient sound. So, the more I tried to limit other extraneous noise, the harder it was to hear the television; conversely, if I set the filter for say a quiet environment like if you were out in the woods, it gave me more volume but didn't filter out extraneous noise as well.

    Second, I wanted sound enhanced hearing protection that I could use with a variety of headgear. The older ear muff style I had basically limited me to a baseball cap. With this one, I was able to wear a full brimmed hat. 

    Third, when shooting louder firearms, I wanted the ability to double up on hearing protection without loosing the sound capability. With my older earmuffs, to double up on hearing protection would have meant using an ear plug of some sort, which would have course left me without the ability to hear normal conversation. Similarly, an in-ear design would do the same if wearing ear muffs over them. Since these use buds that connect to the device around the neck which is contains the microphones, I can wear earmuffs over the buds and still have full sound.

    Fourth, I wanted a hearing protection device that would still allow me to hear while hunting. That test will have to wait for hunting season, however.

    All in all, I liked the device. My biggest complaint with it is that the dust plug for the micro-USB port doesn't fit tight enough, and pops out. I plan on trying it out while using motorized tools such as the lawnmower, trimmer, grass blower, etc.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think this device would mute the screaming sounds sometimes produced when feeding things into a wood chipper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. Just turn down the volume for the ambient noise to zero, and listen to some music via the Bluetooth connection to your phone.

      Delete

The Bystander Effect--Fact And Fiction

 Greg Ellifritz's most recent Weekend Knowledge Dump  included a link to an article on the bystander effect published at Aeon Magazine a...