|Wikimedia: "The forward magazines of the U.S. Navy battleship USS Arizona (BB-39) explode shortly after 08:00 hrs during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii (USA), 7 December 1941."|
- "'A date which will live in infamy' and its impact on our nation"--The Shreveport Times.
- "‘AIRRAID ON PEARL HARBOR X THIS IS NO DRILL,’ urgent 1941 radiogram warns"--The Washington Post.
- "Prepper, or Refugee?"--A Survival Plan. The author defines "refugee" as "a person who flees to an imagined safe haven to escape danger, disaster or corrupt power." The author states that the difference between a prepper and a refugee is a plan. Don't be a refugee. Read the whole thing.
- "Testing G2 R.I.P., Liberty Civil Defense, Inceptor, and Lehigh Defense Rounds – Part 3 – Heavy Clothing"--The Firearms Blog.
- "Defensive Firearms Resources For Women"--Arizona Weapon Craft.
- "Thermo-Electric Generators"--Blue Collar Prepping. "Thermo-electric junctions are interesting ways to generate small amounts of power from fire, something you'll probably already need in an emergency. Since there are no moving parts, maintenance is minimal and they're pretty fool-proof once assembled."
- "The Foxhole Radio"--Neo-Survivalist. Building a simple radio receiver that does not require a power source.
- "Midnight Coffee Beard Oil"--Humblebee and Me. Instructions on making your own beard-oil (if you have a beard, you will understand why; if not, you can just ignore this).
- "How To Make Cake Flour"--Homestead Survival.
- "FuBar: Forcible Entry Tool"--Loadout Room. A review of a compact demolition/"hooligan" type tool.
- "People in Venezuela Bartering for Survival"--Fer Fal at Modern Survivalist. Some de facto currency will eventually come into use, since bartering is inconvenient.
- "Arizona man finds Cold War fallout shelter hidden underneath his backyard"--Daily Mail.
- Some articles from The Lizard Farmer:
- "Murders are at a record low and falling in the U.S."--Washington Examiner. "Per-capita murders in the U.S. are at their lowest level since FBI records began, and they are trending downwards." Nice chart showing murder rates from 1960 to 2014.
- Related: "Peak Gun Crime: Early 1990s"--American Conservative.
- "Should you..."--Straight Forward in a Crooked World. "Should you meet with a person bent on a campaign of terror, intending to murder their fellow men and women, to leave behind a swath of widows, widowers and orphans, to grieve families and nations alike. Do the reasonable thing. Kill them."
- "Syed Farook’s Arsenal Is As American as Apple Pie"--The Nation.
I asked Marc Cooper about it—he’s an award-winning journalist and a friend who’s also a gun person. Two thousand five hundred rounds? “Believe it or not, these are modest amounts of ammo,” he told me. “A gun hobbyist, a target shooter, can easily go through 500 rounds in one two-hour visit to the range. The amount found in this guy’s apartment in no way by itself indicates anything strange.”
Another friend said, “It’s like buying 48 rolls of toilet paper when you go to Costco.”
If possessing two AR-15s and 2,500 rounds of ammo makes you a terror suspect, then we need to investigate several million Americans, most of whom are older white men—and Republicans.
- Update: "So Who Does Speak for Islam, President Obama?"--Roger Kimball.
... The slaughter of those innocents in San Bernardino by Muslim terrorists last week, coming as it did on the heels of the slaughter in Paris by Muslim terrorists last month, confirmed what anyone with a shred of common sense has long known: terrorism circa 2015 is overwhelming perpetrated by Muslims.
Are all of the world’s billion Muslims, one-sixth of the global population, terrorists? Of course not, but the overwhelming majority of the world’s terrorists and supporters of terror are Muslims, and this fact completely undercuts the central premise of Barack Obama’s speech last night.
Obama says that the atrocity committed in California last week was carried out not by faithful Muslims, but by outliers following a “perverted” interpretation of Islam. Followers of the Islamic State, he said, do “not speak for Islam.”
Let’s pause to ask: Who does speak for Islam?
Saudi Arabia? It is the world’s most important Sunni Muslim state. One of the most ghastly things about ISIS is its followers’ penchant for beheading people, yet in 2015 alone, our “ally” Saudi Arabia has beheaded 151 people. I am surprised the number is not higher; the list of things that are capital offenses in Saudi Arabia is long and varied.
Apostasy makes the list. If you decide that Allah is not for you, it’s off with your head.
Want a glass of wine? Think twice. The consumption of intoxicants is on the list, as is consensual homosexual sex, adultery, and “sorcery or witchcraft.”
So, presumably, Obama would not let Saudi Arabia speak for Islam.
How about the world's largest Shia state, Iran? Does it speak for Islam? If not, why not? Because it is just as much a barbaric cesspool as Saudi Arabia?
You see how it's going to proceed. Last night, Barack Obama was at pains to distance us from "those interpretations of Islam that are incompatible with the values of religious tolerance, mutual respect, and human dignity." Well, with that statement Obama forbids the majority of the world's Muslims, including the denizens of Islam's chief states, from speaking for Islam.
- Updated: "Islamic State Going Broke? As Airstrikes Target Oil Revenue, ISIS Slashes Salaries, Imposes New Taxes"--International Business Times. President Goldman Sachs will not be pleased.
|According to the Daily Mail: "This image shows San Bernardino shooters Tashfeen Malik and Syed Farook going through customs as O'Hare Airport in Chicago last July upon their arrival from Saudi Arabia"|