|The Crab Nebula from Hubble (Source)|
Various topics and commentary today:
Just reviewing some of the basics...
- "So you want to be a Survivalist - The start"--Neo-Survivalist.
- "Power Outage: What to Do When the Power Goes Out"--Survival Life.
- "Dealing with heat stress" at Backwoods Home Magazine.
- "Emergency Water Filtration"--Neo-Survivalist.
- My own article on "Storing Water."
- "The 3 Tiers of Triage When Dealing With Multiple Injuries"--More Than Just Surviving.
- "Food Storage Guidelines For Starting and Organizing Your Food Storage" at Family Survival Planning.
Some other prepping posts:
- "Holes in the Plan"--Blue Collar Prepping. A midnight visit from the gas company about a possible gas leak revealed some gaps in their plan....
- "The Shape of Things to Come"--Survival UK. Discussion of where we (as a society and civilization) seem to be headed....
- "Natural Spider Killer" at My Honey's Place. A recipe for a DIY spider repellent: "... take one cup of vinegar, one cup of pepper, one cup water, a teaspoon of oil and liquid soap. Put it into a spray bottle and spray along the outside of your outside door and along windows."
Current Events and Commentary:
- Qualcomm planning to lay off thousands while at the same time lobbying for more H1B visas; threatening to take jobs overseas.
- From The Daily Mail: "Hillary Clinton's tense backstage confrontation with Black Lives Matter activists caught on video: Campaigners grill candidate on the 'white problem of violence' and accuse her of 'victim blaming'" Black leaders are ratcheting up the rhetoric because America is beginning to have the conversation about race that Black leaders do not want--50 years and trillions of dollars for the "war on poverty" was wasted, Black Americans commit a disproportionate amount of violent crimes, and they (as a group) hate whites.
- "A Culture Clash Over Guns Infiltrates the Backcountry" at The New York Times. Basically a story of how government officials and various lefties are trying to end the use of public land for shooting. The article begins by relating how some petroglyph hunter found a bunch of garbage left from shooters. Perhaps it is different in other areas, but I hear the same complaints around here. But what I see is generally different. Yes, there are some shooters who are inconsiderate and dump garbage and make a mess (and there are shooting clubs that go out and clean up these messes). But it is generally fairly limited in extent--a few "favorite" areas that are widely scattered. Whereas I see miles of roads torn up, acres of land denuded of almost any vegetation, and hillsides torn up or crisscrossed with countless trails, all from four-wheelers and motorcycle enthusiasts. And yet not one peep from the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) about that.
- "Thousands of Hungary Police to Guard Against Migrant Influx." "Hungary is 'under an organized attack' by human traffickers who aren't only transporting migrants but instructing them about how to abuse the European Union's refugee system, said Janos Lazar, Prime Minister Viktor Orban's chief of staff." Sounds familiar.
- "School marked down by Ofsted for being 'too white'" at The Telegraph. When your government hates you....
- "5 ways the world will look dramatically different in 2100" at Gulf News. A couple of the items: Africa's population is expected to double by 2100; and Nigeria will soon be the third most populous nation on the planet, surpassing the United States.
- On a related note to the foregoing: "An African Planet?" Money quote:
The sad truth is that Africa’s “economic miracle” will never happen. As the population grows, survival will mean only one thing: emigration. The bright lights of Europe and North America–and of South Africa for those who cannot manage to leave the continent–will exert a hypnotic attraction. Many Africans will buy plane tickets financed by their relatives already overseas, or by Western aid money, and those who cannot afford to fly will pile into rickety ships to cross the Mediterranean. The African avalanche is inevitable.
The rush to Europe will be so massive and relentless that it will not be possible to stop it without direct military force. ...
- "‘Draw Mohammed' UK Exhibition Cancelled After Security Service Pressure..." at Breitbart.
- "ISIS 'Mein Kampf' discovered in Pakistan; promises final solution in 2020" at the Christian Examiner. The document purports to set out the goals and milestones of ISIS. One point I want to emphasize: "From 2017-2020, the group plans to engage in 'open warfare' with all enemies of the Islamic state so 'Allah will grant victory to the believers after which peace will reign on earth.'" (emphasis mine). When Islamists refer to their religion as the "Religion of Peace," they mean the peace of the graveyard.
Just Because It Is Interesting...
- "Single DNA molecule could store information for a million years following scientific breakthrough." "The breakthrough could lead to digital archives of everything from ancient texts to Wikipedia changes being stored in the form of DNA that could in theory survive for hundreds of thousands of years without any loss of data."
- "The Great New England Vampire Panic" at Smithsonian magazine.
- "There’s a 1,200-year-old Phone in the Smithsonian Collections" at Smithsonian magazine.