Monday, May 18, 2015

Gun Show Report

I attended a gun show this weekend with my father-in-law and my oldest son. I find that, increasingly, I have less desire to attend the shows, as the prices (not only of admission, but of the products) increase, and the number of quality vendors declines. Gun shows, at least in this area, have truly become "over priced old crap" shows.

There are some amusing things to hear and see, though. One vender was selling a rifle built up from a CETME C kit on an unidentifiable receiver that was blocky and ugly. He wanted well over $2,000 for it (I think $2,700, but perhaps it read $2,400): it would probably only be worth a few hundred, and that only if it was torn down for its parts. When looking at a Bowie knife with a traditional coffin shaped handle, another vender started discussing some design on the handle, and how it had originated after American troops drove the French out of New Orleans in 1814. Perhaps the substitution of the French for the British was an honest mistake, but it made me suspect of the rest of his story.

I saw more .22 LR on sale, including obviously new boxes of the stuff. The prices worked out to between 10 to 20 cents per round, depending on the manufacturer and type of ammo. Ironically, the smaller 100 round boxes of CCI in the nice plastic boxes were selling at the lowest price-per-round. My father-in-law commented on the prices, and the seller said that there was nothing to be done for it as long as people were willing to pay for it. I wasn't willing and, based on the late time of day and the number of boxes remaining, neither were too many other people. I probably should have picked up a box of the .22 Long, however. Hindsight is 20/20.

I hadn't previously handled a Glock 42, notwithstanding it being over a year since its introduction, so it was with some mild interest that I found a seller with a few on the tables. They seem a lot smaller in real life than the impression I had from the photographs and descriptions I'd seen and heard. Still large enough to grip, but definitely small enough for secreting it most anywhere one could want. No one had any 43's, though.

Flickr - ~Steve Z~ - Smith ^ Wesson K22 Pre 17.jpg
K-22 Masterpiece

There were, of course, several interesting pieces. One gentleman had a K-22 Masterpiece revolver, with its original box (both the firearm and box showed some finish wear, but otherwise appeared in good condition). Another seller had an impressive array of old Winchester lever actions for sale. Someone had a Martini-Henry rifle for sale that apparently had been fixed up from one of the Nepalese batch recovered by IMA, together with some ammunition ($10 per round, which is actually a pretty good price for that caliber). It looked like the person had done a pretty good job of putting it together to operating shape. The problem is that it had been Parkerized. And I found myself drawn to a Ruger Vaquero .44 Magnum made of bright polished stainless steel with ivory colored grips.

Martini-Henry m1871 - England - AM.032017.jpg
Martini-Henry

There were surprisingly few AKs and ARs at this show relative to traditional hunting rifles, shotguns, and antique rifles (although there were at least three sellers there with Tavors). I don't know if this is a result of AR fatigue, or of lower profit margins. Several venders I normally see at the shows were gone, but this is not surprising. At the last show, one of them was complaining that the number of sales they make wasn't worth the cost and effort of renting a table and setting up.

And I finally went through a show without seeing any Zombie themed products, other than a stray "Zombie Hunter" patch. I guess that is progress of a sorts.

No comments:

Post a Comment